Purdue Post Game Thread

KDB

27 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

It isn’t accidental.  There are narratives being pushed.  We don’t have any pull and the conference is ok keeping us down.  We will all still watch IU even while being screwed.  Our fan base and ratings are taken advantage of for the good of every other team in the conference

Jfc. We’re a soft team both physically and mentally compounded with terrible bball IQ. The administration has made hires that have lead us from bad to worse the last two decades. Just get it over with and hire a real college basketball coach. I’m tired of watching the athletic department make PC and/or safe hires. We just showed some balls hiring an actual football coach for the first time in some 40 years. Zero reason it can’t happen in basketball.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Stats. Those two

FG Purdue 29/62 IU 27-65

3FG Purdue 7/19 IU 8/24

FT 22/27 IU 4/9

So we can see the difference in the game. Purdue actually only had 1 more offensive rebound and we only had 10 turnovers. Those two categories was the ones I were most concerned with and we held our own.

I don’t know how anyone can look at those stats and come to any other conclusion than biased officiating being the primary cause of defeat tonight.

We were just as aggressive in the paint as Purdue was. They were allowed to bully and push, and we were not.

That not only affects free throw numbers; it affects how you’re forced to play the game.

I get that we aren’t a good team, and I have absolutely no disagreement with that assessment right now, but this should have been a close game. It was only a blowout because of the officiating, so everyone bellyaching about the worst loss in 90 years can stow it.  There’s absolutely no team that could have overcome the zebras tonight matched against a really good team like Purdue.

• Like 4

I don’t like criticizing student athletes, but Make an exception for X because he’s being paid $$$ and is in his 6th year.  Usually a team with a senior starting PG would excel, especially late in the season and in tournaments. X, however, is still a drag on this team with excessive dribbling, slow decisions, flopping, whining and streaky shooting.  CMW picked the wrong guy to lead the offense. The team generally doesn’t block out, aggressively rebound or maintain motion on offense. Losing by single digits to teams like KU, UConn, Duke, PU isn’t sign of weakness, but losing by 15-20 and getting crushed at home show the team’s limited upside.  CMW deserves criticism for poor substitutions, untimely Timeouts, benching players like Ware and Reneau with 2 fouls and never using zones.  Ware will probably never get 5 fouls because he won’t sacrifice his body, and MR is fouling less, anyway.  Imo, this team is at best an average caliber team in a fairly lousy conference.  CMW deserves one more year.  Lets find a good coach who will recruit smarter players who excel at team play. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, KDB said:

“If Indiana calls he’s going” - Trilly Donovan on Dusty May.. FYI

I don't see IU even considering a move at this point,  The key question is if Woodson decides he would rather enjoy a peaceful, stress-free retirement.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, KDB said:

What makes anyone think that is going to turn out any better if it were to happen?

It isn't going to happen anyway.  This hire was a huge gamble.  There were all the questions going into it and the worst part of the gamble is that Woodson has a good buddy on the BoT and a bunch of support from quite a few people that make letting him go if things go south much more difficult to do.  He has an ego to boot so I would be shocked to see a resignation as well.

Your best place to put your hopes is a change to the staff and a whole bunch of new faces next year along with a complete overhaul on just about everything we have seen from a strategy standpoint the last 2.5 years.  Welcome back to the times when the best part of the year is April through mid October.  Yippee.

32 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I don’t know how anyone can look at those stats and come to any other conclusion than biased officiating being the primary cause of defeat tonight.

We were just as aggressive in the paint as Purdue was. They were allowed to bully and push, and we were not.

That not only affects free throw numbers; it affects how you’re forced to play the game.

I get that we aren’t a good team, and I have absolutely no disagreement with that assessment right now, but this should have been a close game. It was only a blowout because of the officiating, so everyone bellyaching about the worst loss in 90 years can stow it.  There’s absolutely no team that could have overcome the zebras tonight matched against a really good team like Purdue.

Agreed. The poor and biased officiating I’d deliberate and it needs to be investigated and ultimately prosecuted if criminal wrongdoing has occurred. We were the leaders of the Big Ten for decades and other schools and the conference leadership have decided to deliberately punish us for athletic, academic and social excellence. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

What makes anyone think that is going to turn out any better if it were to happen?

It isn't going to happen anyway.  This hire was a huge gamble.  There were all the questions going into it and the worst part of the gamble is that Woodson has a good buddy on the BoT and a bunch of support from quite a few people that make letting him go if things go south much more difficult to do.  He has an ego to boot so I would be shocked to see a resignation as well.

Your best place to put your hopes is a change to the staff and a whole bunch of new faces next year along with a complete overhaul on just about everything we have seen from a strategy standpoint the last 2.5 years.  Welcome back to the times when the best part of the year is April through mid October.  Yippee.

Give up.

There is no place to put your hopes.

Find something else to spend your time on. 

IU basketball is wasted time 

• Like 2

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

I have lost interest. 

Let’s see what the new football coach can bring to the table.

IU basketball being relevant is a thing of my past. 

I picked up some linemen the other night. They to have only seen Cig once But love the new Weight staff. They are into supplements and stretching and running. being in shape. so there's that.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, calls were awful but the two guys we sat finished with 5 fouls total. That’s a bad coaching decision.

We are averaging losing by 18 to Quad 1 opponents. We just had our worst home loss to Purdue in 90 years. Don’t come in here and try to act like people aren’t justified in being upset with the state of things.

This board has been very civil sans comments like this from you and a few others stirring crap up. 

Sans comments like this from you....wow. Honestly I have to laugh. You post comments all year long. Now you play the victim card? I'll reiterate what I said in the post Nebraska game thread. EI buddy. Find it. 

In terms of the game. We were taken out of our strategy with early fouls. Would love to know what would happen if we didn't have our 2 best riding the pine. 

Long season. We'll either find it or we won't. I still believe we can find our way to steal one of these next two on the road and see where it goes from there. 

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

At least nobody died.

Hopes, dreams, maybe a winning season? Tourney success? All dead. All dead. I got the humor. I honestly laughed, I really did. But IU basketball is not in good shape. I think Freddy put it best. The 70's were a much simpler time...

Edited by Officer Obie

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't see IU even considering a move at this point,  The key question is if Woodson decides he would rather enjoy a peaceful, stress-free retirement.  

This is the reality of the situation. I understand the frustrations towards Woodson but there are a lot of other “factors” involved. IU isn’t just going to fire him. If things go off the rails fast then maybe May and Buckner can “nudge” Woodson towards retiring, but even then, that’s a long shot. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sans comments like this from you....wow. Honestly I have to laugh. You post comments all year long. Now you play the victim card? I'll reiterate what I said in the post Nebraska game thread. EI buddy. Find it. 

In terms of the game. We were taken out of our strategy with early fouls. Would love to know what would happen if we didn't have our 2 best riding the pine. 

Long season. We'll either find it or we won't. I still believe we can find our way to steal one of these next two on the road and see where it goes from there. 

Comments like what from me? Calling out the fact that you and a few others completely talk down to folks that aren't as happy with the direction of things as you?

You could have made your entire post, and made the same point, without the jab at other fans.

When I'm upset, I don't have the need to throw in comments like "some of our 'fans' that don't want to see us succeed might say xyz...". It's the drive by, BS comments that you guys make that cause the arguments more than anything else. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, KDB said:

Of course he is. That adds a lot of assurances if we were to make a move now... not that Dusty has to be the first call, but if you know he is "worst case" scenario that's pretty appealing.

Next 6 weeks is big for this program. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

At this point no. I think we need to figure things out in a hurry or that could become a real conversation two months from now.

What if we end up 15-16? Is 17-14 good enough to avoid that conversation?