Purdue Post Game Thread

KDB

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to blame the failings on him being an NBA guy. The NBA is more complex from an X and O standpoint, the issue is the lack of adjusting. Theres a reason Woodson has never been highly sought after in the NBA. 

I think you absolutely can blame it on being an NBA guy. Doesn't mean he doesn't know X's and O's, but he's never been tasked with constructing a roster, managing/developing college aged kids, etc. They have highly paid personnel in the NBA to do that. And the sets we do run don't reciprocate with the level of talent or personnel that we do have. It's a lot easier to run a 2 man game or iso in the NBA when the talent level allows it. We run very little off the ball to free up good looks or put players in position to score. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I think you absolutely can blame it on being an NBA guy. Doesn't mean he doesn't know X's and O's, but he's never been tasked with constructing a roster, managing/developing college aged kids, etc. They have highly paid personnel in the NBA to do that. And the sets we do run don't reciprocate with the level of talent or personnel that we do have. It's a lot easier to run a 2 man game or iso in the NBA when the talent level allows it. We run very little off the ball to free up good looks or put players in position to score. 

Good points. A whole staff of scouts and a GM is a bit different than a head coach and 3 assistants. 

Furthermore, I do believe that a head coach in college is a much tougher job than a head coach in the pro's. Brad Stevens even has alluded to this, saying he enjoys his summers and time with his family. 

Not only is coaching in college a grind, you have to be multi-faceted. You're the GM, you're the game planner, you're the talent evaluator, you're the recruiter, you're the baby sitter, you're the fund raiser, you're the compliance police, you're developing players and teaching fundamentals (fundamentals that pro athletes already know), etc. While the coaching staff can assist in these areas, everything still falls on the head coach. 

Both NBA and College coaches can be X's and Os' geniuses. They can know the game in and out. But a successful college coach requires a certain breed of person: workaholic, charismatic, smart, uber-organized. Success at both levels doesn't always equate. College coaches have trouble in the NBA because they are micro-managers and need to have different relationships with their players. NBA coaches have trouble in college, because they are tasked with responsibilities that they don't necessarily have experience with. 

Success at both levels is possible, but it is very rare. I'm sure there are others, but Larry Brown is the only name who immediately comes to mind.

• Like 3

I’ve got a lot of gripes about last night’s game (mainly the officiating), but let’s give Purdue some credit. They were the better team. Edey did what he does and we couldn’t stop him, and their guards hit big shots when it mattered most. We were outplayed and out toughed. It’s that simple, so let’s move on to Friday’s game, and hope for the best in Madison. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd really like for Tony or somebody else to put together a clip of our missed box outs or poor positioning when it comes to rebounds. There was that play when Edey had that dunk off of a rebound and the announcers were praising his size. Never mind the fact that Edey just moseyed in, non-obstructed from the free throw line, while Malik was standing right next to him, watching like a spectator. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I'd really like for Tony or somebody else to put together a clip of our missed box outs or poor positioning when it comes to rebounds. There was that play when Edey had that dunk off of a rebound and the announcers were praising his size. Never mind the fact that Edey just moseyed in, non-obstructed from the free throw line, while Malik was standing right next to him, watching like a spectator. 

Malik is such a talented, skilled player and gets so little out of it. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't see IU even considering a move at this point,  The key question is if Woodson decides he would rather enjoy a peaceful, stress-free retirement.  

unfortunately true.  we're stuck until he retires.  maybe after next year he'll be tired of all the complaining, etc.?

11 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

I’m sure he would but as much as I like Dusty May, im sure plenty of us wouldn’t be excited if he didn’t have that connection to IU and Knight. 

IMO, we need a proven P5 coach and not another experiment/risk (ex-Archie, Woody). I think IU could land one, but Dolson being our AD gives me little to no hope he’s capable of accomplishing that. 

IU basketball feels on life support tbh. 

i want a proven power 5 coach like Pearl or Beard, but at least a proven college coach like May would be better than where we are.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We need to jettison some of the assistant staff.  All they do is recruit and frankly they haven't done that well.  Cheaney gets mentioned as a guy that is developing players rather frequently.  We aren't always seeing the results but he is someone we hear.  Our last few big recruits were landed by Walsh.  What exactly are Rosemond and Hunter doing other than collecting a check?

We need an X and O guy and a development guy in those spots who also recruit.

it's unbelievable to me that as much as i love Calbert, some say he should be our next coach!  WTAF!?  we need a proven college coach.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Two more months of crap ball and coaching. I am getting to the point where I don't care. Same shi?, different day!

Like I have said before, you think this year is bad wait until next year!

i honestly expect next year to be worse, but i'll never stop watching Hoosier bball and cheering them on.  and likely be disappointed.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i want a proven power 5 coach like Pearl or Beard, but at least a proven college coach like May would be better than where we are.

Well....

With Davis we hired from within....didn't work out. 
With Sampson we got a power 5 coach.....best coach we had since Knight, but we know how it went down. 
With Crean we got a power 5 coach......achieved our best results since Knight: number 1 ranking, 2 B1G titles.
With Archie we got a mid-major coach.....in way over his head. 
With Woody we got an NBA coach.....doesn't seem to be currently working out 

So, by hiring a power 5 guy, I'd say you're on to something.....if it comes to that. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i honestly expect next year to be worse, but i'll never stop watching Hoosier bball and cheering them on.  and likely be disappointed.  

I don leather and a mask when IU plays now...

IMG_2647.webp.6e72ba7ae445c48b3c6fac4ec4f46367.webp

... it helps take the sting out of it...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Well....

With Davis we hired from within....didn't work out. 
With Sampson we got a power 5 coach.....best coach we had since Knight, but we know how it went down. 
With Crean we got a power 5 coach......achieved our best results since Knight: number 1 ranking, 2 B1G titles.
With Archie we got a mid-major coach.....in way over his head. 
With Woody we got an NBA coach.....doesn't seem to be currently working out 

So, by hiring a power 5 guy, I'd say you're on to something.....if it comes to that. 

Kelvin Sampson would have hung two more banners at IU. Looking back, the violations were laughable. Not even a rule today. Other programs were funneling cash and perks to players. Remember Zion Williamson's house in Raleigh-Durham? The emphasis on academic integrity at UNC?  And yes, I'm well aware of the other issues with the team. Somehow, Houston has managed through it. 

No other major program would commit suicide over a violation reported by an intern. They would say, "that's cute, maybe you should intern somewhere else." At most, they would approach the coaching staff and say, hey cool it guys. 

But before Sampson's second season with the Hoosiers, an intern in the IU compliance office discovered Sampson had violated the restrictions placed on him for the Oklahoma mishap.

"As president, I believe the most important measure of our success in intercollegiate athletics is not to be found in the win-loss columns," McRobbie said. "Rather, it is in how well we measure up to our own high standards for good sportsmanship, academic success, the welfare of our student-athletes and playing by the rules."

Mission accomplished

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kenny Payne might listen if we reached out.  :coffee:

It’s another game on another night in this very uncomfortable time to be a Louisville Cardinal. Attendance is announced at over 10,000, but fewer than 5,000 dour faces dot the 22,090-seat arena. That’s inside. Outside? You know it’s bad when barstools are empty in a city built on bourbon.

After years spent ranked among the most highly attended teams in college basketball, Louisville slipped to 22nd in average attendance last season. Average ticket sales were announced at 12,497 per game, per NCAA records. In 2019-20, the last time things were cooking around here, Louisville announced an average crowd of 16,658. That ranked seventh nationally.

But the real problem is, the Cards aren’t drawing anywhere near what’s being announced at games. According to university records requested by The Athletic, last year’s actual through-the-gates attendance averaged 6,557 per game.

This year is worse for the men. The first three regular-season home dates drew 16,037, total. Or 5,435 per game. Season ticket sales have fallen from 10,501 to 9,099.

If your watching the Big network now. You understand my previous post about politics being involved in one of the greatest basketball programs of all time to it’s knees.  Peezzo just said the Ohio States new AD is the most important position of in all of college sports? What prompted that comment? Why is IUs AD not just as important as Ohio States? Remember in 20 when the league set the rules for the shortened season for football. You must play six games. IUs only loss in more than six games to O St. Ohio state does not play the minimum six games. So rules changed by the league. Politics! 

2 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

If your watching the Big network now. You understand my previous post about politics being involved in one of the greatest basketball programs of all time to it’s knees.  Peezzo just said the Ohio States new AD is the most important position of in all of college sports? What prompted that comment? Why is IUs AD not just as important as Ohio States? Remember in 20 when the league set the rules for the shortened season for football. You must play six games. IUs only loss in more than six games to O St. Ohio state does not play the minimum six games. So rules changed by the league. Politics! 

It's because OSU has the highest athletics revenue in all of college sports. More than TX, AL, MI, GA, etc. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No, I didn't agree with the rule change. You asked why the IU AD job isn't as important as the OSU job. OSU generates twice the revenue. 

So what! If money is the ruling factor. We don’t have a level playing field. And where ever money rules there is always a politician and politics involved. 
How did the state of Indiana ruin the greatest high school basketball tournament of all time? State politics changed the game and wanted everyone to win a trophy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I agree totally. Woodson is not the answer. And for the record I could give a rats butt if we hire an IU guy. Give me someone who can coach, develop, recruit, motivate and build a program.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1