Wisconsin Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Friday, January 19th 8:30 PM EST

Where: Kohl Center, Madison Wisconsin 

TV: FS1

Greg Gard (177-97 in his 9th season at Wisconsin) leads his 13-4 (5-1 in Big 10 play) Badgers into a meeting with our Hoosiers in Madison. Wisconsin is coming off of their first Big 10 loss at Penn State.

Screenshot_20240117-080503.thumb.png.2fae58344c5fc970a9244defcabb6351.png

Screenshot_20240117-080619.thumb.png.60b2ca18542cc1638565f2b4c576d0ee.png

Screenshot_20240117-0808252.thumb.png.4918041ce8a4d1c9b34abc342118e6ad.png

Screenshot_20240117-081127.thumb.png.21cc0f5bb9bc722e9d9176753022109a.png

The Badgers are led in scoring by 6'6 sophomore transfer (St Johns) AJ Storr (15 ppg 32% from 3). Storr has been one of the best Big 10 transfer steals from the portal. Has 3 level scoring ability and is an elite athlete. Junior 7 footer Steven Crowl starts at the 5 spot and averages 12 ppg and 8 boards while shooting 54% from 3 on low volume (22 taken in 17 games). Not really athletic, but plays acceptable defense by muscling and using good position. Not a real rim protector though (>1 block per game). 6'9 senior Tyler Wahl is one of the leaders on this team. Plays really hard on both ends and is sneaky good around the rim. Averages 12 ppg, but not a real threat from 3. The backcourt consists of 6'2 junior Chucky Hepburn who is one of the better point guards in the Big 10 and has a 4:1 assist to turnover ratio. 6'3 junior transfer (Wofford) Max Klesmit joins him at 9 ppg and 39% from 3. The Badgers have used the same starting lineup in all 17 games.

6'4 freshman guard Johnny Blackwell has been a nice surprise for Bucky. A 3 star recruit whose only P6 offer was Wisconsin is getting 19 minutes per game, averaging 9 ppg on 48% 3 point shooting. 6'7 sophomore and Indiana native Connor Essegian has been trying to work his way back into the rotation but has struggled a bit from long range shooting just 32% from 3 after checking in at 36% in his freshman campaign. 6'7 junior Carter Gilmore (2 ppg) and 6'11 freshman Nolan Winter (3 ppg) provide frontcourt depth.

Typical Bucky team. Play hard, smart basketball. Storr gives them a dimension they didn't have last year in a reliable scorer who can create his own shot ala former Badger and current Washington Wizard Johnny Davis.

Tough matchup on the road as we've never won in the Kohl Center, and Wisconsin seems to get a lot of calls at home...

To hell with all that. We can beat this team. Let's have a nice bounce back game and get a nice road win...

GO HOOSIERS! 

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Unfortunately, teams watching us right now are going to see blood in the water. We need to come out with our hair on fire. 

Yes, but Purdue also exposed how to guard us and we are going to have to adjust.

When teams double Malik it’s going to start coming from guards and they’ll stay home on Ware. Malik kills teams with interior passing but is selfish kicking it out to guards, just making the simple play. We are going to have to adjust. 

• Like 4

Somehow we probably match up better with Wisconsin and have a better chance of winning. 

Edey just clogs up the middle so much

Will be hard to win in Madison but not impossible. 

Need to play a complete game and get something for X or play him very limited minutes and use more Cupps and Gunn

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

image.png.a3cd8ce50bc29f6701f495fbdd728deb.png

Yep.  We have never seen our potential take hold and I don't think it is going to.  I expect to lose the next two and then the Iowa game becomes a pivot point.  Either they turn it around and put together a respectable conclusion to the year, or it goes down the tubes.

Either way, we have 4 more good opportunities for a Q1 win.  3 of those 4 are on the road.  At the beginning of the year, my baseline goal is always the NCAA tournament.  If we are not capable of being 1 of the 68 teams that makes that tournament, the year is an automatic fail for me.  This year is looking like it is already a failure.  It is mid January.  That is no bueno.

• Like 1

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Yep.  We have never seen our potential take hold and I don't think it is going to.  I expect to lose the next two and then the Iowa game becomes a pivot point.  Either they turn it around and put together a respectable conclusion to the year, or it goes down the tubes.

Either way, we have 4 more good opportunities for a Q1 win.  3 of those 4 are on the road.  At the beginning of the year, my baseline goal is always the NCAA tournament.  If we are not capable of being 1 of the 68 teams that makes that tournament, the year is an automatic fail for me.  This year is looking like it is already a failure.  It is mid January.  That is no bueno.

haven't won at Wisconsin since 1998 right?  26 years?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If we aren't getting calls at AH, we sure won't get them in Madison. Ware, Malik and Mack all have two fouls now. I recall the game in 2016 when IU attempted 18 FTs and Nigel Hayes attempted 22. 

For the record, he did own us and no one could guard him.  We made him look like D Wade in his prime that night.  

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

haven't won at Wisconsin since 1998 right?  26 years?

I expect to lose the next two in ugly fashion.  We'll see how we look against Iowa.  I think the "give a fuuu-uh-fudge" meter on this team bottoms out when it becomes apparent that the tournament is out of the question.  You think guys might be mailing it in now, wait until they are almost certain that the only thing they are playing for is the loser tournament that no one gives a crap about.  There are a few guys I see shutting it down at that point.  Whether that be a business decision or just realizing it is over and I am done listening to people because I am a grown man at this point.

Edited by IUCrazy2

First of all, I despise Friday night games.  The night should belong to high schools.

As far as this game, we won't win.  The question is whether we play well and lose by 6-8, or whether we lay an egg and get run by 20+.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

First of all, I despise Friday night games.  The night should belong to high schools.

As far as this game, we won't win.  The question is whether we play well and lose by 6-8, or whether we lay an egg and get run by 20+.

If WI has the same FT stat line as against PSU, 20-23, it won't be close. 

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

yeah.  i'll be at my son's game.  will plan to watch it on playback when i get home around 930.  i don't think there's any way we win though.  

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I might find the movie Hard Times and watch that instead. At least I know who gets their butt whooped in that one! Course I know who’s going to get their butt whooped @ WI too?🫣

We need a big win in wisky! A loss and we are in a tail spin we may not come out of? 

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We need to massively shorten the bench.  The starters should be playing about 35 minutes each the rest of the way.

This, cut out the long twos, and focus on rebounding and we could win some games.

Imperfect roster or not, we aren’t close to getting the most out of it. That’s what is the most frustrating part of the season IMO. 

• Like 3