March Madness 2024

1 minute ago, MrsStoller said:

Announcers just said UConn’s starters, aside from one guy, are 1-17 from the field and they’re leading by 6. Wow.

Is that a reflection of how good UConn is or how bad dUI is? 

The answer to that is “yes”.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Matt Painter is an admirable guy who plays a helluva style of basketball and runs an outstanding system for COLLEGE basketball.   Sadly we once took Todd Leary over Painter as a player.

The difference between IU and PU is that we are far more realistic in our assessments.  PU fans typically have a huge chip on their shoulders and live in an alternate reality.   The amount of post hoc rationalizations that come out of them is astounding, whereas IU fans will give a far more realistic assessment whether it hurts to say or not.   

When IU is good and Purdue isn’t, the amount of total BS that comes out of that place is loathsome. 

Curious if you could expand on the “typically have a huge chip on their shoulders and live in an alternate reality” comment.  I think myself and my friends that are Purdue fans always expect the worst and are usually pretty level-headed but maybe you’ve had different experiences. 

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Curious if you could expand on the “typically have a huge chip on their shoulders and live in an alternate reality” comment.  I think myself and my friends that are Purdue fans always expect the worst and are usually pretty level-headed but maybe you’ve had different experiences. 

I can’t decide if jumping in to conversations like this makes me seem like Switzerland or like Benedict Arnold. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Can't speak for @BobSaccamanno but from personal experience a lot of my friends who went to Purdue aren't very level headed. I remember in college many of my friends who attended Purdue became chronic liars. They would say things like "this party will be awesome",  "no, it won't be a sausage party", "Lafayette is the Paris of Indiana", "Gene Keady's haircut is awesome", "Purdue Pete isn't creepy" and "we promise not to milk cows on Saturday night." Purdue turned many great New Albany High School graduates into awful people.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

When IU is up and Purdue is down, IU gets almost no credit from Purdue fans.  Purdue gets very defensive, makes excuses, and creates conspiracy theories.  The way this board is a love best for Painter would never ever happen in a million years at your end.   Purdue can’t even handle the five banners.

Even when Purdue is good, as an example, when Edey runs over somebody who is stationary, or bear hugs with both arms and isn’t called, Purdue fans laughably defend the situation even when there’s video evidence.  It’s dysfunctional.  Just own it like IU fans do.  “Yeah Edey gets away with those calls.  Deal with it.  He’s huge and refs don’t have any idea how to deal with him.”   

The difference is IU fans have self esteem.  I’ve enjoyed three titles.  Even if I never see another, I have got 3.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Can't speak for @BobSaccamanno but from personal experience a lot of my friends who went to Purdue aren't very level headed. I remember in college many of my friends who attended Purdue became chronic liars. They would say things like "this party will be awesome",  "no, it won't be a sausage party", "Lafayette is the Paris of Indiana", "Gene Keady's haircut is awesome", "Purdue Pete isn't creepy" and "we promise not to milk cows on Saturday night." Purdue turned many great New Albany High School graduates into awful people.

I once owned a shirt that said “Purdue: keeping fat chicks out of IU since 18xx”

20 years of wisdom later, I’ve learned there are exceptions to every rule. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

When IU is up and Purdue is down, IU gets almost no credit from Purdue fans.  Purdue gets very defensive, makes excuses, and creates conspiracy theories.  The way this board is a love best for Painter would never ever happen in a million years at your end.   Purdue can’t even handle the five banners.

Even when Purdue is good, as an example, when Edey runs over somebody who is stationary, or bear hugs with both arms and isn’t called, Purdue fans laughably defend the situation even when there’s video evidence.  It’s dysfunctional.  Just own it like IU fans do.  “Yeah Edey gets away with those calls.  Deal with it.  He’s huge and refs don’t have any idea how to deal with him.”   

The difference is IU fans have self esteem.  I’ve enjoyed three titles.  Even if I never see another, I have got 3.   

Appreciate the reply. I feel like it probably depends on the age of the Purdue fan tbh. For me, I haven’t seen what you’re referring to but I’m also in my 30’s and wasn’t around when IU was in the midst of their heyday. I think both fanbases have their share of crazies and their share of level-headed fans. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Appreciate the reply. I feel like it probably depends on the age of the Purdue fan tbh. For me, I haven’t seen what you’re referring to but I’m also in my 30’s and wasn’t around when IU was in the midst of their heyday. I think both fanbases have their share of crazies and their share of level-headed fans. 

Fair enough but I am not sure I have ever seen a Purdue fan accept the five banners.  Usually some excuse.  

When you see this board compliment the hell out of Painter on a regular basis or give a sober assessment of the lousy season IU just had, ask yourself if Purdue fans would do that because I’ve never seen evidence of it except for a super minority.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

I think UConn is the only team left in the tournament that can beat Purdue…and even then it’s going to depend how the refs call it. Tennessee has nothing for them they’ve already shown that this year and Duke Nc St don’t have the size.  Hard to decide who to root for. UConn who is replacing us as a blue blood or Purdue who will make this board insufferable. I have to say probably Purdue though…that should be the slap in the face the university needs to wake up and right the ship and stop allowing them to own the state and our players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, dgambill said:

I think UConn is the only team left in the tournament that can beat Purdue…and even then it’s going to depend how the refs call it. Tennessee has nothing for them they’ve already shown that this year and Duke Nc St don’t have the size.  Hard to decide who to root for. UConn who is replacing us as a blue blood or Purdue who will make this board insufferable. I have to say probably Purdue though…that should be the slap in the face the university needs to wake up and right the ship and stop allowing them to own the state and our players.

Tennessee does play like Wisconsin and Northwestern on steroids. Chances are Tenessee won't win but they have fighters chance with their defense and style of play.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This is where I’m at, in addition to genuinely being happy for a few if Purdue does indeed win. I’ve heard those UConn fans live and in person and yikes. 

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Fair enough but I am not sure I have ever seen a Purdue fan accept the five banners.  Usually some excuse.  

When you see this board compliment the hell out of Painter on a regular basis or give a sober assessment of the lousy season IU just had, ask yourself if Purdue fans would do that because I’ve never seen evidence of it except for a super minority.  

Hey I’m more than able to say that your banners are impressive. Zero doubt about it.

• Like 1