March Madness 2024

12 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

Good riddance to Arizona. Annoying coach, annoying team.

Obviously there's no danger in his job but besides our friends in West Lafayette has any other team or program performed worse with being seeded so high each year in past few seasons?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Obviously there's no danger in his job but besides our friends in West Lafayette has any other team or program performed worse with being seeded so high each year in past few seasons?

Our friends to the south have a similar problem too lol

Can’t really make jokes considering we have trouble even getting there but it makes it a little less painful I guess 

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I always thought Kansas was a big dog with little bite. I mean for everything they have accomplished with the 20 some Big 12 championships in a row and always seemingly seeded 1-4, they hadnt done much up until the ship 2 years ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

When the time comes, IU better have TJ Otzelberger near the top of their list. He'd probably take this years IU team to the Final Four. 

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Better have him hire an offensive coordinator. Woof.

And this year was the much improved version.

"The Iowa State basketball coaching staff knew things needed to get better offensively. They had no illusions about the reality that their success in T.J. Otzelberger’s first two seasons came in spite of the offense."

"The Cyclones went to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments, including a Sweet 16, because the defense was elite. If it had been merely very good, Iowa State probably spends the month of March the last two seasons in the NIT because of an offense that couldn’t even catch a whiff of the top-100 in efficiency."

"So to say Iowa State shooting 23 percent from the floor, 9 percent from 3-point range and scoring 41 points in a first-round upset to Pitt last year was a catalyst for change isn’t exactly accurate."

“Our first two years, we had a lot more sets and slowed it down,” Schmidt (assistant) said. “This year, we’ve really tried to focus on playing together, playing connected, moving on penetration, creating action and just staying connected.” 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Better have him hire an offensive coordinator. Woof.

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

And this year was the much improved version.

"The Iowa State basketball coaching staff knew things needed to get better offensively. They had no illusions about the reality that their success in T.J. Otzelberger’s first two seasons came in spite of the offense."

"The Cyclones went to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments, including a Sweet 16, because the defense was elite. If it had been merely very good, Iowa State probably spends the month of March the last two seasons in the NIT because of an offense that couldn’t even catch a whiff of the top-100 in efficiency."

"So to say Iowa State shooting 23 percent from the floor, 9 percent from 3-point range and scoring 41 points in a first-round upset to Pitt last year was a catalyst for change isn’t exactly accurate."

“Our first two years, we had a lot more sets and slowed it down,” Schmidt (assistant) said. “This year, we’ve really tried to focus on playing together, playing connected, moving on penetration, creating action and just staying connected.” 

For sure. But he's a really good coach to get a team with that level of talent a 2 seed. 

27 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think it’s really an advantage for Gonzaga to have already played Purdue. They shot very poorly in that game. I don’t expect that to happen again 

I would hate for Gonzaga to keep advancing every year... but I am so darn perplexed who to hope for in this game !