March Madness 2024

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Ain’t that the truth 🤣

Hey, I know what it's like... Wife and her whole family are Cardinal fans and I'm a Cubs guy...

I remember being at a World Series clincher party with her extended family for game 6 of the 1985 series against the Royals... After Denkinger blew the call, the sorrow and sympathy I feigned that night made Robert DeNiro in "Raging Bull" look like a flippin' amateur... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Hey, I know what it's like... Wife and her whole family are Cardinal fans and I'm a Cubs guy...

I remember being at a World Series clincher party with her extended family for game 6 of the 1985 series against the Royals... After Denkinger blew the call, the sorrow and sympathy I feigned that night made Robert DeNiro in "Raging Bull" look like a flippin' amateur... 

See, that’s where my situation makes me more conflicted. If she were just a fan/alum, my loyalty to IU wouldn’t waver. Any year in the future, same deal. But for anyone that’s involved/connected to a D1 basketball program, who wouldn’t want to experience a Final Four their senior year? That’s literally a once in a lifetime experience. 

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

See, that’s where my situation makes me more conflicted. If she were just a fan/alum, my loyalty to IU wouldn’t waver. Any year in the future, same deal. But for anyone that’s involved/connected to a D1 basketball program, who wouldn’t want to experience a Final Four their senior year? That’s literally a once in a lifetime experience. 

For any Purdue fan under 43 it's currently a none in a lifetime experience 🙂

Just remember when they blow it, and they will, suppress the carnival going on inside of you 😉

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What an odd flex 

Odd? According to some our program is in a free for all....so I would ask you over the last 3 years which other Big 10 teams are .500 or better head to head vs Purdue. I'll hang up and wait for the answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

For any Purdue fan under 43 it's currently a none in a lifetime experience 🙂

Just remember when they blow it, and they will, suppress the carnival going on inside of you 😉

I was just reminded that my father didn’t take us to MSA in 1980 because he was drunk as usual 🫠

IU “blew it” vs Syracuse but that doesn’t change how great that team was 

If you don’t appreciate them it’s your choice 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

I was just reminded that my father didn’t take us to MSA in 1980 because he was drunk as usual 🫠

The only Syracuse game I worry about was our game in 87 for the championship which we didn't blow.

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Odd? According to some our program is in a free for all....so I would ask you over the last 3 years which other Big 10 teams are .500 or better head to head vs Purdue. I'll hang up and wait for the answer.

No idea and it doesn’t matter IMO. You guys are in this position regardless of whether you’re 3-3 or 6-0 against us the last 3 years. Head-to-head record over a small timeframe doesn’t mean much. 

Living down here in Evansville, we were the host for the Division II Championship, although not sure why as we no longer have a Div. II team since USI moved up to D1. But anyways, the Championship game was on CBS and Montana State won on a 3 pointer at the last second 88-85. Montana State must have an awesome BBall program as I see where their Ladies team also won a national championship as well!

WOW!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Living down here in Evansville, we were the host for the Division II Championship, although not sure why as we no longer have a Div. II team since USI moved up to D1. But anyways, the Championship game was on CBS and Montana State won on a 3 pointer at the last second 88-85. Montana State must have an awesome BBall program as I see where their Ladies team also won a national championship as well!

WOW!!

Wow! That’s very exciting! Fort Wayne hosted the Div III event, won by Trine. And definitely sounds like two good programs at Montana State.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

That’s a bummer - it’s a long time ago, but that sucks you didn’t go to MSA in 1980.

I’ve got several friends with Purdue connections either via diploma or fan, my nephew just graduated from Purdue, and I’ll be happy for them, Matt Painter, and the Purdue fans who join us here. It’s such an exhilarating and exciting experience to win the national championship even from a fan perspective. So if Purdue does indeed win this year, get tickets to the Final Four - do whatever you have to do to go, and just enjoy and soak it in!! No way did I think it would be almost 40 years before IU’s next championship. No way. Enjoy it in the moment!

• Like 1

Matt Painter is an admirable guy who plays a helluva style of basketball and runs an outstanding system for COLLEGE basketball.   Sadly we once took Todd Leary over Painter as a player.

The difference between IU and PU is that we are far more realistic in our assessments.  PU fans typically have a huge chip on their shoulders and live in an alternate reality.   The amount of post hoc rationalizations that come out of them is astounding, whereas IU fans will give a far more realistic assessment whether it hurts to say or not.   

When IU is good and Purdue isn’t, the amount of total BS that comes out of that place is loathsome. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

WOW!!

Did they host it at the Ford Center?  If so I can see why. Evansville isn't a bad location either, although I have mercy on anyone's souls who stayed on the East side. 

Edited by pinkroync

13 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

That’s a bummer - it’s a long time ago, but that sucks you didn’t go to MSA in 1980.

I’ve got several friends with Purdue connections either via diploma or fan, my nephew just graduated from Purdue, and I’ll be happy for them, Matt Painter, and the Purdue fans who join us here. It’s such an exhilarating and exciting experience to win the national championship even from a fan perspective. So if Purdue does indeed win this year, get tickets to the Final Four - do whatever you have to do to go, and just enjoy and soak it in!! No way did I think it would be almost 40 years before IU’s next championship. No way. Enjoy it in the moment!

So you're predicting a 2027 Championship?  I hope you're related to Nostradamus!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Matt Painter is an admirable guy who plays a helluva style of basketball and runs an outstanding system for COLLEGE basketball.   Sadly we once took Todd Leary over Painter as a player.

The difference between IU and PU is that we are far more realistic in our assessments.  PU fans typically have a huge chip on their shoulders and live in an alternate reality.   The amount of post hoc rationalizations that come out of them is astounding.   Whereas IU fans will give a far more realistic assessment whether it hurts to say or not.   

When IU is good and Purdue isn’t, the amount of total BS that comes out of that place is loathsome.  

I have no issue giving a team credit where credit is due and I've given that to Purdue. With that said I will talk 100% unadulterated crap about Purdue until the day I die and they bury me face down so my critics can kiss my a$$. 

• Haha 3