Michigan Postgame Thread

KDB

7 minutes ago, rico said:

To be honest, I really don't even know how Archie evaluates anything even though it is right in front of his eyes.  I said it weeks ago, if I was the coach McRoberts and Fitzner would never see the floor again.  And they are seniors that do nothing.  I will take my chances with the young guys.  

IMO you still have to play Fitz because he at least brings the threat of being able to shoot from the outside to create spacing.  I’m all for sitting McRoberts though.  I honestly would like to see a lineup of RP, Romeo, Morgan, Fitz and Moore.  That gives you 3 guys on the floor who could catch fire from three (I laughed as I typed this) is Morgan, RP and Fitz.  It gives you length to rebound the ball and protect the rim (Morgan and Moore) and gives you two guys to handle the ball and take their guy off of the dribble (RP and Romeo).  Romeo could potentially be a fourth outside shooter but since he’s struggled so far this year, I didn’t include him in that group.

Edit: Or RP, Romeo, Anderson, Morgan, Moore.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, StLHoosier said:

IMO you still have to play Fitz because he at least brings the threat of being able to shoot from the outside to create spacing.  I’m all for sitting McRoberts though.  I honestly would like to see a lineup of RP, Romeo, Morgan, Fitz and Moore.  That gives you 3 guys on the floor who could catch fire from three (I laughed as I typed this) is Morgan, RP and Fitz.  It gives you length to rebound the ball and protect the rim (Morgan and Moore) and gives you two guys to handle the ball and take their guy off of the dribble (RP and Romeo).  Romeo could potentially be a fourth outside shooter but since he’s struggled so far this year, I didn’t include him in that group.

Fitzner absolutely destroys us on the defensive end.  

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

At this point Archie must think he can salvage the season...but it ain’t happening unless something changes...but nothing changes if we’ll you don’t change things. I think he is afraid of going like 500 again by experimenting with young guys and getting them experience for next year. Funny thing is he might just have some success if he changes things up.

He don't see it that way.  he reminds me of Dusty Baker.  Play the "Veterans".  Even if they suck.

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Actually, I agree with this experiment, but I'm thinking that Archie already knows the outcome. When you really evaluate, shooting is by FAR  the biggest weakness of this team, and adding Cliff does nothing to solve that problem! Damezi and Fitz were supposed to alleviate some of the shooting woes, but they were a combined 0/6 tonight from 3? Archie can't shoot the ball for them!

Adding Cliff could help solve the problem. It slides Morgan to the 4 and puts him on the perimeter more where he’s a threat and the defense has to respect him. Right now Smith spends a lot of time on the perimeter and his man basically just stands in the paint. Then you have Moore, who compared to Smith, can at least finish around the rim and while in extremely limited minutes has shown he can hit a 10-ft jumper. But the key would be getting a better threat at Smith’s spot  

It might change the offensive dynamic more than we think and in result could build Moore’s confidence.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Archie is in survival mode. Trying to get through the season without losing his job. If Knight saw this BS he would have had the ball boy playing and lost by 50 but he would have sent a message and don’t get me started on Romeo. Kid gave almost zero effort on defense tonight pouting because he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. I have yet to see Archie say a word at him...kid needed an @ss chewing and a bop on the chin to look me in the eye when Archie was doing it. If we are going to bench Damezi for mistakes then we should bench Romeo. I’m so mad...I need to take a breath but sitting here and having my wife’s family down here in Kentucky laugh at me all night there is only so much I can take.

Yes we are upset but Archie could lose the rest of the games this year and he still won't lose his job.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Adding Cliff could help solve the problem. It slides Morgan to the 4 and puts him on the perimeter more where he’s a threat and the defense has to respect him. Right now Smith spends a lot of time on the perimeter and his man basically just stands in the paint. Then you have Moore, who compared to Smith, can at least finish around the rim and while in extremely limited minutes has shown he can hit a 10-ft jumper. But the key would be getting a better threat at Smith’s spot  

It might change the offensive dynamic more than we think and in result could build Moore’s confidence.

Can you send Archie a memo?

3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Edit: Or RP, Romeo, Anderson, Morgan, Moore.

Replace Anderson with Durham.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Fitzner absolutely destroys us on the defensive end.  

Agreed, but our offense needs a kick in the pants.  If he can create spacing to allow for easier looks, or heaven forbid hit some outside shots, I’d be willing to sacrifice some D for some offense.  

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Hate to make it sound like it's so easy but... bingo.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Edward Smith disagrees with you.

Fitz couldn’t guard a school girl from the school for the blind. As bad as Justin player tonight he still has to start. I’d go with RP, Al, Romeo, Smith, and Morgan with Moore first big off the bench. McRoberts can play if we need defense but for the most part Damezi needs to see more minutes with both Romeo and Juwan on the floor who open up the floor for him. Usually he comes in one or both are sitting from fouls. He needs others to open up looks for him..at least until he knocks down a shot or two and gets into the flow of the offense.

I kept telling people that the grass is not always greener on the other side when they were calling for Crean's head.  I told people that we would not get an elite coach to come and have to bring in an up and comer. we have to give him a chance to bring in all of his style of players and then judge him.  I wan to see us in the future to build this roster with high 4 star players and the lower 5 star players who will stay here.  When you bring in one big time recruit and surround him with lower level players this is what we get.  Just look and LSU and Washington who had 1 one and done player and those teams did not make the tournament.  We need to build it like Villanova and UNC where they get really good players but will stay at least 3 years for the most part.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Fitz couldn’t guard a school girl from the school for the blind. As bad as Justin player tonight he still has to start. I’d go with RP, Al, Romeo, Smith, and Morgan with Moore first big off the bench. McRoberts can play if we need defense but for the most part Damezi needs to see more minutes with both Romeo and Juwan on the floor who open up the floor for him. Usually he comes in one or both are sitting from fouls. He needs others to open up looks for him..at least until he knocks down a shot or two and gets into the flow of the offense.

IMO, Smith is part of the problem.  His man is not guarding him on the perimeter and he has been giving up way too many open looks on defense.  He was the main guy guarding Falzon the other night.  I’m sticking with RP, Al, Romeo, Morgan and Moore.

IMO, Smith is part of the problem.  His man is not guarding him on the perimeter and he has been giving up way too many open looks on defense.  He was the main guy guarding Falzon the other night.  I’m sticking with RP, Al, Romeo, Morgan and Moore.

But, but, but he is playing the pack line defense...

5 minutes ago, rico said:

But, but, but he is playing the pack line defense...

He’s not playing it correctly.  Like I said, A LOT of coaches run it with great success (Izzo, Bennett, etc).  It’s a great defense when ran correctly and is very logical.  Don’t give up layups, make them shoot from the outside, and make them shoot contested jump shots.  All 5 guys have to be on the same page though.  Obviously we’re not.

Archived