Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Have you seen the rest of their B1G schedule?  They could likely go 17-1 in conference and will be a 1 seed.  If Painter pulls a Crean and gets hammered in the Sweet 16 the Boilers will lose it.  If they can't make a FF this year it's never going to happen. 

Not sure why you say it’s never going to happen if they don’t this year? This team is really good and I think only has 2 top 100 players on the roster. Painter could build a team like this again. Not like it’s full of 5* guys that wouldn’t likely happen again. 

I don't see Purdue as "really good". They're good, top 20. They had a good win @Michigan... then What? AZ on a neutral court when AZ was playing horrible? Idk.. certainly not sold on them, yet. 

Lville/ND game tonight was awesome btw. Brey can coach and so can Padgett. 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't see Purdue as "really good". They're good, top 20. They had a good win @Michigan... then What? AZ on a neutral court when AZ was playing horrible? Idk.. certainly not sold on them, yet. 

You don’t see Purdue as “really good?” This seems like a post that would’ve had merit after the Bahamas but now? Lol. 

They destroyed Butler, beat Louisville, won easily at Marquette, at Maryland, beat NW when they were still decent, and at Michigan. Even though AZ wasn’t playing great, that doesn’t take away from the curbstomping we gave them. What more could they have done to prove they’re “really good?” I know Minnesota and Wisconsin aren’t amazing but they’ve won the last two games by an average of 31 points. Seems like a really good team to me. 

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You don’t see Purdue as “really good?” This seems like a post that would’ve had merit after the Bahamas but now? Lol. 

They destroyed Butler, beat Louisville, won easily at Marquette, at Maryland, beat NW when they were still decent, and at Michigan. Even though AZ wasn’t playing great, that doesn’t take away from the curbstomping we gave them. What more could they have done to prove they’re “really good?” I know Minnesota and Wisconsin aren’t amazing but they’ve won the last two games by an average of 31 points. Seems like a really good team to me. 

Butler is avg at best, Lville wasn't playing well when they played them, it would be different if they played them now and were to win. What more could they have done? Played different teams or not lost to UT and WKU... I realize "you can only beat who you play".. but I have very good reasons for holding judgement.. they've player no one. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Butler is avg at best, Lville wasn't playing well when they played them, it would be different if they played them now and were to win. What more could they have done? Played different teams or not lost to UT and WKU... I realize "you can only beat who you play".. but I have very good reasons for holding judgement.. they've player no one. 

You’re entitled to your opinion but I think you’re way off. This Purdue team doesn’t have any real weakness. They’re probably the most sound team offensively and defensively that Painter has ever had (believe they’re top 10 on both offense and defense on kenpom). Their SOS is 29. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I agree they have more to prove. What’s the difference in your opinion between pretty good and really good?

A team that is for sure a 1 or 2 seed. They have not played an elite team.. every team they've beaten, they should have beaten. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure why you say it’s never going to happen if they don’t this year? This team is really good and I think only has 2 top 100 players on the roster. Painter could build a team like this again. Not like it’s full of 5* guys that wouldn’t likely happen again. 

How's that roster shaping up next year without the current seniors?

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

How's that roster shaping up next year without the current seniors?

It’ll be a transition for sure. But I like some of the pieces they have and obviously Carsen is going to be a stud. Him plus Haarms, Cline, and Eastern is a decent nucleus and then we’ll have to hope we can get some solid contributions from Eric Hunter and Trevion Williams plus the redshirting guys this year in Sasha Stefanovich and Aaron Wheeler. 

8 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Have you seen the rest of their B1G schedule?  They could likely go 17-1 in conference and will be a 1 seed.  If Painter pulls a Crean and gets hammered in the Sweet 16 the Boilers will lose it.  If they can't make a FF this year it's never going to happen. 

Right now, it appears as though Sparty is the one to defeat them.  But will Izzo have them straightened out by then?  At some point in time we got to start thinking they might go undefeated.  

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

You are 2-1 against top 25 and haven't played any elite teams. Again.. at this point pretty good team, plenty more to prove. 

This is pretty much where I sit. Pretty good team. Take it for what it is but the original point of peaking early is valid. Plenty teams do. 4 parts to every season in my mind. Non-Conference, 1st Half of Conf, 2nd Half of Conf, and Tourney play. I'd rather peak towards the end of February/early March.

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

Don't forget that Purdue also beat WVU in a preseason scrimmage too or so I've been told. :D 

Purdue is one of the Top 7 or 8 teams in the country right now.  And, I say that knowing that I have some bias against the Boilers.  Likely means they are even a little better than that.  But, as we know, what you do in January does not necessarily translate in March.  A weaker than normal Big Ten Conference and that idiotic week off between the BTT and the NCAA may work against the Boilers come tournament time.

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You’re entitled to your opinion but I think you’re way off. This Purdue team doesn’t have any real weakness. They’re probably the most sound team offensively and defensively that Painter has ever had (believe they’re top 10 on both offense and defense on kenpom). Their SOS is 29. 

The fact that you think this team is better than Johnson, Hummel, Moore, and Kramer teams tells me all I need to know.  No Way! They are better than that team. Plus come March they’ll remember they are Purdue....

Archived