Texas Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Be careful i argued that a week ago and everyone thought i was emotional and needed some therapy or were drunk or something. You are dead on my friend

Or is it maybe an Indiana mr basketball doesn’t carry the same weight that it used to. I mean if we are landing the best in the state and people are arguing how much more athletic everyone else is or higher ranked because our guys are sub 100 recruits then why are we praising Archie recruiting and also saying the fact we are missing out on top recruits is no big deal because our 200 ranked kids who are supposedly out matched are coming back for a 5th year or whatever. Just let me know which narrative we are going to live in. I just want to be consistent.

17 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Come on man. CAM had sh@& the first year. Crean left him with almost as much garbage as he came into. This is his first full cycle of recruits and we’re quitting on him? He’s recruited better than any of the previous guys going back to Knight. It takes time, certainly longer than a few years of dealing with an incomplete roster that he didn’t choose. If we’re in the same boat two years from now, then fine. But all this “coach” talk is crazy and ridiculously pre-mature. Recruiting is substantially better as is the defense. He doesn’t deserve more time to improve the offense as well, which IMO from a set perspective looks much better / faster?? If TJD AND others didn’t miss a thousand bunnies today everybody’s mood would be different. Some accountability for the players is important. Plus, we’re 3 games in and just played back to back games against tournament teams. I’m a little disappointed CAM hasn’t successfully brought in a grad transfer or freshman shooter that can light it up immediately, but I’m not quitting on him yet. Hell of a lot better playing solid D most games with quality effort than watching us score 100 every game but give up 120. Again, I’m not quitting on him yet. 

You can't be serious.   Crean inherited walkon Kyle Tabor as the only returning production. 

Archie had 4 different 4* recruits on the roster.   Year 3 he was firmly on the bubble.   Year 4 doesn't look any different.   I am not sure why that is acceptable, unless as a fan base we have adjusted the goalposts that we are thrilled with being one of the best 68 teams in the country. 

Brad Brownell at the basketball juggernaut of Clemson has beaten Purdue more than Archie has.

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Nothing in your response proves my statement wrong.  We are not getting Donovan after he just went to the Bulls but after years of being in Boston the right dollar amount would make Brad sweat it out to truly see if he doesn’t want to come back to college.  I like you but your posts are always so absolute and black and white, the real world is much more grey.

The IU admin is black and white.  They won’t pay that type of money. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Or is it maybe an Indiana mr basketball doesn’t carry the same weight that it used to. I mean if we are landing the best in the state and people are arguing how much more athletic everyone else is or higher ranked because our guys are sub 100 recruits then why are we praising Archie recruiting and also saying the fact we are missing out on top recruits is no big deal because our 200 ranked kids who are supposedly out matched are coming back for a 5th year or whatever. Just let me know which narrative we are going to live in. I just want to be consistent.

There is no consistency just like our program

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can anyone deny that Texas was ready to play today from the opening tip and IU was not?

To me, that is the most disappointing thing of all.  

I did not get to watch, but if that was the case, it pi$$es me off. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from last years debacle when IU lost to PeeYuu at RMKs return to the Hall!!!

6 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Nothing in your response proves my statement wrong.  We are not getting Donovan after he just went to the Bulls but after years of being in Boston the right dollar amount would make Brad sweat it out to truly see if he doesn’t want to come back to college.  I like you but your posts are always so absolute and black and white, the real world is much more grey.

Just going by an interview I heard with Chris Denari last year.  He was over in China with the NBA and he was talking to Stevens and his wife.  They talked about the difference in coaching in college and the NBA and both of them said it is a lot better in the NBA.  Talked about having a lot more home time especially during the off season.  His wife says she loves Stevens coaching in the NBA because once he is home he is not dealing with players or their families calling all the time.

10 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

To add some more context, here are the rankings for the team that just ran us out of Ashville. Nearly their entire team was ranked higher than our starting 5 outside TJD. 

Baker 35

Brown 9

Coleman 52

Hepa 58

K Jones 51

Liddell 49

Ramey 43

Sims 53

Williams 73

Hamm 90

Febres 91

Cunningham 212

A Jones 29

I have been a fierce Archie advocate and I'm not calling for his job at this point. You can't ignore the discrepancy though. Maybe Shaka is next best hire..

Edit: Missed Andrew Jones

Shaka has been on the hot seat at UT the last year or so

It seems Brad Stevens signed a contract extension in August. Couldn't find dollar amount.

Also, i know Shaka just crushed us, but Shaka hasnt done any better at texas than archie at IU. would you replace archie with this? Thats with Rick Barnes handing over the keys to a better program. Archie basically started with nothing.

2015–16 Texas 20–13 11–7 4th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2016–17 Texas 11–22 4–14 10th  
2017–18 Texas 19–15 8–10 T–6th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2018–19 Texas 21–16 8–10 6th NIT Champion
2019–20 Texas 19–12 9–9 T-3rd Post-season cancelled due to pandemic
Texas: 90–78 (.536) 40–50 (.444)

12 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

To add some more context, here are the rankings for the team that just ran us out of Ashville. Nearly their entire team was ranked higher than our starting 5 outside TJD. 

Baker 35

Brown 9

Coleman 52

Hepa 58

K Jones 51

Liddell 49

Ramey 43

Sims 53

Williams 73

Hamm 90

Febres 91

Cunningham 212

A Jones 29

I have been a fierce Archie advocate and I'm not calling for his job at this point. You can't ignore the discrepancy though. Maybe Shaka is next best hire..

Edit: Missed Andrew Jones

i guess this was my main point.  we can't really expect Hoosier basketball to be where we'd all like with the talent that we are bringing in.  CAM's fault?  i don't know.  just sayin our talent isn't very good.  so don't expect too much this year or next.  

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i guess this was my main point.  we can't really expect Hoosier basketball to be where we'd all like with the talent that we are bringing in.  CAM's fault?  i don't know.  just sayin our talent isn't very good.  so don't expect too much this year or next.  

Our talent includes the #1 ranked point guard in his class, and an absolute stud in TJD who will likely be drafted in the first round, among others, including some very good frosh. Our talent is fine.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

One of those Mr Basketballs in in the NBA, another has had 2 subpar games but was our best player as a freshman, and the 3rd IS a freshman...

Indiana just doesn't have the "brand" yet to go out and pick up a roster full of top 100 kids. Our growth needs to be derived from the talent that Indiana is turning out for now, and in that aspect I think Archie has been quite good. Missed on Kaufman, but has gotten a lot of the in state talent so far. If Archie shows some success, the 5 star out of state kids will start considering us. If not, he'll be let go.

I just shake my head at the people who say "same old stuff" 3 games into the season. That's the great thing about sports to me. Each season is different. Each TEAM is different. The growth throughout the year is different. I personally think we'll improve a lot during the year simply because I think the on the court leadership is much better. 

I get as frustrated as anybody with IU losing, especially like they did today. But, I always try to see the bright side. I think our defense played pretty well. I saw defense from Kristian Lander that I was surprised about...I also saw some lapses, but he'll learn...

I always get ripped when I puts some of the blame on IU's problems on our fan base.  They come back and say that UK gets recruits and they are worse which they are.  My point is that UK is getting all of those recruits because Cal and the one and done philosophy and those players won't have to put up with the fans more than 4 months.  I remember with Tubby and Gilespie there recruiting was not great and a lot of UK fans complained about the talent level.  So may the UK fans had some responsibility with them not getting better recruits.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never want the one and done players but we do have to start getting more 20-75 type of players.  by the way this is game 3 of the season

And, we were in the final two for two of those this recruiting period, and they both said 'style of play' was the reason they chose the other school.  Archie needs to take that to heart.  

Just now, IU Scott said:

I always get ripped when I puts some of the blame on IU's problems on our fan base.  They come back and say that UK gets recruits and they are worse which they are.  My point is that UK is getting all of those recruits because Cal and the one and done philosophy and those players won't have to put up with the fans more than 4 months.  I remember with Tubby and Gilespie there recruiting was not great and a lot of UK fans complained about the talent level.  So may the UK fans had some responsibility with them not getting better recruits.

Yeah, yeah...terrible fanbase that keeps coming out and caring at an elite level even though there are maybe 6 seasons that have been better than average since RMK was fired 20, let me repeat that, 20 years ago.

The only thing elite about this program anymore is the fanbase.  And it wasn't the fanbase that chased off our two most recent recruiting misses, it was offensive games like this.  

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One of those Mr Basketballs in in the NBA, another has had 2 subpar games but was our best player as a freshman, and the 3rd IS a freshman...

Indiana just doesn't have the "brand" yet to go out and pick up a roster full of top 100 kids. Our growth needs to be derived from the talent that Indiana is turning out for now, and in that aspect I think Archie has been quite good. Missed on Kaufman, but has gotten a lot of the in state talent so far. If Archie shows some success, the 5 star out of state kids will start considering us. If not, he'll be let go.

I just shake my head at the people who say "same old stuff" 3 games into the season. That's the great thing about sports to me. Each season is different. Each TEAM is different. The growth throughout the year is different. I personally think we'll improve a lot during the year simply because I think the on the court leadership is much better. 

I get as frustrated as anybody with IU losing, especially like they did today. But, I always try to see the bright side. I think our defense played pretty well. I saw defense from Kristian Lander that I was surprised about...I also saw some lapses, but he'll learn...

I often refer to emotional intelligence with people. Some have it. Some don't. As I mentioned earlier and you said the same...each season is it's own deal. These 3 game in and I'm out guys?? I don't know. Just really surprising at the reaction to a loss vs a top 20 team. 

I'm more concerned about Al's ankle right now. Not the "State of the Program" posts that apparently in the year 2020 need to be said after 3 games....and for those who say or suggest that posters like me or others have our heads in the sand? I'm pissed but it's game 3. Again. Emotional Intelligence gang. Shoot Knight would have been fired after NYC tourney in 89 season with some of you guys/gals....and that was after 3 titles in 13 years.

6 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

It seems Brad Stevens signed a contract extension in August. Couldn't find dollar amount.

Also, i know Shaka just crushed us, but Shaka hasnt done any better at texas than archie at IU. would you replace archie with this? Thats with Rick Barnes handing over the keys to a better program. Archie basically started with nothing.

2015–16 Texas 20–13 11–7 4th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2016–17 Texas 11–22 4–14 10th  
2017–18 Texas 19–15 8–10 T–6th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2018–19 Texas 21–16 8–10 6th NIT Champion
2019–20 Texas 19–12 9–9 T-3rd Post-season cancelled due to pandemic
Texas: 90–78 (.536) 40–50 (.444)

Just because people aren't enamored with Miller doesn't mean they want Smart as a coach. Also, IU and Miller just got blown out by Smart and Texas so is Smart's mediocre record at UT really the defense of Miller you seem to think it is?

BTW, how bad is their conference that 9-9 was good enough to tie for 3rd?

Archived