'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Disagree. No matter how much Filipowski sold it, you can't hit a guy in the throat because you're wildly swinging your arms in a non-basketball manner. 

If it's a flagrant to swipe your arms through and graze a guy in that area, then it absolutely should be when you're swinging your arms in celebration. 

We have seen players celebrate/taunt and get a T.  He added an accidental punch 🤛 which did connect 

I hate Duke but was shocked nothing got called 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

....I don't see anything egregious, intentional or purposeful. The VT player was excited about the play and was pumping his fist as he turned up court. He looked shocked and stunned that the Duke player was right there....It was the correct call.

Meh.  The refs should have called a flop on Duke.  lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....I don't see anything egregious, intentional or purposeful. The VT player was excited about the play and was pumping his fist as he turned up court. He looked shocked and stunned that the Duke player was right there....It was the correct call.

No, it wasn't. Read the rules on an F1.... no part of it requires intent or egregious contact. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rico said:

Interesting...I was watching the end of New Mexico/Nevada and there was a play there that changed the game. Tied up in double OT with 16 sec left, NM guy grabs a rebound with 2 Nevada guys nearby. They are swiping at the ball and making some contact but no calls from the ref. He gets frustrated and swings an arm, hits the Nevada guy and....after review it's an F1. So instead of NM having a chance at a game winning shot, Nevada makes 1 FT and gets the ball and eventually the win.

So similar unintentional move, but certainly a "non basketball play". Tough way to lose a game.

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Interesting...I was watching the end of New Mexico/Nevada and there was a play there that changed the game. Tied up in double OT with 16 sec left, NM guy grabs a rebound with 2 Nevada guys nearby. They are swiping at the ball and making some contact but no calls from the ref. He gets frustrated and swings an arm, hits the Nevada guy and....after review it's an F1. So instead of NM having a chance at a game winning shot, Nevada makes 1 FT and gets the ball and eventually the win.

So similar unintentional move, but certainly a "non basketball play". Tough way to lose a game.

It's unfortunate, but the correct call with how the rules are written. 

Fans give officials (in every sport) a whole lotta grief (and deservedly so for the Big10 refs) but they have to constantly toe a line between calling what they "can" (based on the letter of the rules) and calling what they "should". @KoB2011 has made the case that they certainly "could" have called F1 on that play based on the definition of the rule. I totally agree with that. My opinion is they did the right thing by not calling one, others disagree and I respect their opinion.

I didn't see the NM/Nevada play and have no comment on that but I'm sure Alford's hair stayed perfect during the whole thing 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I've watched it from a few angles this morning. The VT player totally pulled his fist "celebration" (I don't even want to call it a punch) as soon as he recognized Filipowski was there. Like any good Dukee, Filipowski completely flopped and made a much bigger deal out of it. In my opinion, I thought it was a good "no call"

Where did you find the replays?  The one I saw, I'm not even certain contact was made.  Dukie may have pulled a LeBron. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

EMU Emoni Bates scored 29 points in the first half and EMU had 35 as a team. He scored 29 straight points for his team but not even close to a record. Somebody in 1951 scored 54 straight points for his team.

What? Did you look it up and beside the number it said "somebody"? 

😉

• Haha 1