• Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Huh?
Archie Miller Big Ten:

year 1 - 9-9 6th place 

year 2 - 8-12 9th place

year 3 - 9-11 10th place
The exact opposite???? In Groces last year he finished 8-10 and came in 10th in the conference which is sort of an Archie year. Hoping this is the year we turn it around somewhat. Defense has certainly improved over the years.

What you left out is no NCAA tournaments.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think Archie is a solid defensive coach but I’m still not sure what his offensive identity is. Like others have stated, I think the ‘22 class will be a big one recruiting-wise. Have to hit on plenty of Plan-A targets. 

21 was the class, now 22 is the class, next 23 will be the class.

At this level every coach can coach are they wouldn’t be there! To much money involved to just hire someone! 
it all comes down to recruiting. How good is the coach at finding winners. Can his recruiting system found and get the best talent for his playing style. 
I think this maybe where Archie is lacking. He gets a star, but doesn’t pick up enough talent to fill out the team. 

12 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

Just out of curiosity does anyone know of a coach who was fired at a power five school due to lack of wins and then hired by another power five school and had success

Greg McDermott - not exactly fired at Iowa State, but was on his way.

10 hours ago, cybergates said:

If this is the support thread I'd hate to see it's evil twin...

this is what i'm saying.  i actually like the idea of a positive thread about CAM, but probably impossible because we all have different opinions and respond to whatever thread that is out there, so it is bound to turn negative.  we literally have these same criticism on every thread though, so it would be cool to make this one thread truly about the positives we see from him and what we support.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this is what i'm saying.  i actually like the idea of a positive thread about CAM, but probably impossible because we all have different opinions and respond to whatever thread that is out there, so it is bound to turn negative.  we literally have these same criticism on every thread though, so it would be cool to make this one thread truly about the positives we see from him and what we support.

Agreed. It is a bit tiresome seeing the same negative things about him in every thread. I know you have voiced concerns about him and I have my own concerns as well, so it would be nice for the "Archie Support" thread to be as intended. 

Positives - Currently we sit at 23rd in Kenpom and 10th in defense which are both excellent. Offense at 57th, so not as bad as it would seem given the scoring droughts. Clear progression in the right direction year over year in both AdjO and AdjD (much more drastic)...

image.png.c49de3489a3fc574c160c9a77069d07c.png

Now where to put my negatives...

12 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Agreed. It is a bit tiresome seeing the same negative things about him in every thread. I know you have voiced concerns about him and I have my own concerns as well, so it would be nice for the "Archie Support" thread to be as intended. 

Positives - Currently we sit at 23rd in Kenpom and 10th in defense which are both excellent. Offense at 57th, so not as bad as it would seem given the scoring droughts. Clear progression in the right direction year over year in both AdjO and AdjD (much more drastic)...

image.png.c49de3489a3fc574c160c9a77069d07c.png

Now where to put my negatives...

I think the thing that galls me the most is the insinuation that Archie just can't coach...

Christ, his pedigree looks like Mona Lisa Vito's for car mechanics...Dad a very successful high school coach...brother a successful high major college coach...played as an undersized guard in an ACC program and held his own...Served apprenticeships at Western Kentucky, Arizona State, Ohio State...Had a very successful run at Dayton...

Bottom line, the guy knows how to coach basketball...As I pointed out in another thread, I wish they had a stat for missing open shots that the offense generated...Bet we'd lead the B1G...and we know about the defense...

Then we get "the sky is falling" on the recruiting front because we missed out on a couple this year...as I said, just ignore Romero Langford, TJD, and Khristian Lander, along with glue guys like Race Thompson, Anthony Leal, and Trey Galloway...

I'm behind Archie 100%...I think we got a brilliant young coach that is still on the ascent in his career...Might not be right on the timetable of the more restless people on this or any other forum, but good things come to those who wait...

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the thing that galls me the most is the insinuation that Archie just can't coach...

Christ, his pedigree looks like Mona Lisa Vito's for car mechanics...Dad a very successful high school coach...brother a successful high major college coach...played as an undersized guard in an ACC program and held his own...Served apprenticeships at Western Kentucky, Arizona State, Ohio State...Had a very successful run at Dayton...

Bottom line, the guy knows how to coach basketball...As I pointed out in another thread, I wish they had a stat for missing open shots that the offense generated...Bet we'd lead the B1G...and we know about the defense...

Then we get "the sky is falling" on the recruiting front because we missed out on a couple this year...as I said, just ignore Romero Langford, TJD, and Khristian Lander, along with glue guys like Race Thompson, Anthony Leal, and Trey Galloway...

I'm behind Archie 100%...I think we got a brilliant young coach that is still on the ascent in his career...Might not be right on the timetable of the more restless people on this or any other forum, but good things come to those who wait...

He may know how to coach. A lot of guys know how to coach. He’s just not shown he’s up to the challenge of coaching and winning in the B1G. The B1G is a different animal in terms of preparation and game planning than other conferences historically and some guys can’t cut it. Archie still gets out coached and his offense could be much better. I’m not in the fire him camp but there has to be improved results soon because his 26-34 record in the B1G isn’t cutting it. 

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree Archie can coach, but he’s missing something! We’re not winning in the big ten! I don’t know what his Big Ten record is but it’s not good. He still hasn’t beaten Purdue! I get reminded of that a lot from my Purdue friends! 😡 so I ask again what is it. 
In Archie first years he was saddled with Creans recruits who were very disappointing. That’s not the case anymore! I believe only Al an Race were recruited by Crean. 
we are at and heading towards the bottom to lower middle tier of the Big Ten once again. I never though I would ever see IU be there for such a long period of time. 

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Archie still gets out coached

So I question this statement...

If you think Underwood saying to Ayo "Go take over the game" is him "outcoaching" Archie, I don't know what to say...

We had our opportunities to win the games against both Northwestern and Illinois...They had guys like Audige and Ayo that performed down the stretch, and we didn't...A coach can draw up a game plan all day and twice on Sunday, but if the ball doesn't go in the basket on a play where the offense produces a good shot, that's not on the coach...

14 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

A couple of wins would go a long way to making this thread better

Depends on who the wins are against.  There is a pecking order starting to develop in the BIG and we sit around #10 give or take one from what I can tell (The Kenpom ratings would disagree but I think he gives a bunch of credit for SoS, he has us ranked higher than some teams that we have not yet shown the ability to beat, but has Northwestern ranked lower than teams they have shown they can beat...I use him for the rest of discussion but do allow that there may be some significant movement in his rankings before the year is up).  People need to see a few wins against teams in the Top 7 in the conference, not the bottom half where we reside.  I fully believe we can "play tough" with anyone and lose...we have shown that several times this year.  I also believe we can beat a P5 team that is "meh", not bad but not necessarily world beaters (see Providence, Butler, and Stanford).  What I have not seen this team do is show that they are capable of beating teams in the Top 35 (of which, not counting us, there are 8 more BIG teams in the Top 35).  Our best win is against #37 Stanford.  Providence is #63 and Butler is #71.  With our remaining schedule, we currently have 1 game left against a team ranked lower than Providence or Butler (Nebraska #115) and Penn State at #54 is the next worst team.  There are only 5 teams left on the schedule currently ranked worse than Stanford (Nebraska, Penn State, Northwestern, Maryland, and Minnesota) and we already lost a game to one of that group.  Those 5 are basically the must win games and I don't give credit for beating any of those 5.  

So yeah, the BIG is tough this year and from where I sit, Miller has not done himself any favors because he has still failed to address the biggest issues his teams have, namely players that cannot put the ball through the basket and lack of interior players.  We sit at #23 in Kenpom (where I go the other ratings) and maybe those do not have enough data to be accurate yet but Miller is going to have to string some wins together against quite a few top 35 teams just to get to .500 in conference and he has to get to that in order for people to say "hey we improved" because the average fan looks at W's and L's, not offensive and defensive efficiency ratings.  And oh yeah, like I mentioned, he already lost one of the few "gimme" games he was supposed to have in conference to a "tough" Northwestern team.

We may suddenly change our stripes in the middle of the year, but from where I sit, Miller is going to need to hit some homeruns on the transfer market this year while also praying TJD sticks around for another year, because it is looking like he is fighting for his job in year 5 based on what I have seen so far of year 4.

Archived