Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

Really disappointing loss. I expect to lose to PSU but also expected to win this one at home. 

Really disappointed in the poor start to both halves. Defense and turnovers were terrible. 

Thought the big shift came when we cut it to 8  with about 8 minutes left, and Galloway got that steal where he dove for the ball and called timeout. 

In the ensuing exchange, Bates missed the front end of a one and one, they made a layup, we didn't score again and then NW made two free throws on their next possession. 

Instead of Bates cutting it to 6 and IU having all of the moment, it was all of the sudden back to 12 in less than a minute. 

We have got to start making free throws. We're on like year 7 of this crap where we can't make free throws, it's ridiculous. 

I agree, but I think that was also the possession where Trayce went up three times, got fouled on at least two of them, but not foul call until the ball bounced out to Bates, who didn't appear to get touched.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

Since December 3:

L: at Rutgers, -15

W: Nebraska, +16

L: Arizona (neutral), -14

L: at Kansas, -22

W: Elon, +24 (#318 Kenpom at the time)

W: Kennesaw State, +14 (#221 Kenpom at that time)

L: at Iowa, -2

L: Northwestern, -1

So much here to consider.  

Early in the season as both regional and national reporters saw IU practice more than a few described IU as having the depth for TWO starting 5’s.  Yet, it is being conveyed the overall and particularly defensive drop-off is due to X and Race “on the bench” with injuries.  Make no mistake, losing 2 Senior starters is significant. 

That said, it seems Chris Collins just won a road game with far, far less that Indiana has available even WITH injuries.

As a passionate fan, I am concerned not only about what unfolds from here this season, but future seasons. 

1.  Line substitutions, NBA style, are neither necessary or practiced by long-term successful programs

2.  Losing a 21-point lead?

3.  Xavier aside, will Indiana win any conference road games?

4.  Losing at home to Northwestern, after Iowa loss?

5.  Big early holes, no visible urgency 

6.  Something feels off.  Is it team chemistry?

One other point, I keep hearing rumors that X and Race may each be back sometime in February.  So I went and looked at the schedule.  We have 7 games left in January.  Of the 7, 4 are on the road and of the home games 2 are currently ranked (Wisconsin and Ohio State) and the third is a program that has given us trouble (Michigan State).  We start February against Purdue and Rutgers and then go on the road to Michigan and Northwestern.  So over the next 11 games we have 6 on the road and 5 at home.  Of the 5 at home, 3 teams are currently ranked in the Top 25 and the other 2 (Rutgers and Michigan State) have given us fits for years.

If things don't improve quickly, it won't matter if/when we get Race and Xavier back, the season will basically already be over.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

I agree, but I think that was also the possession where Trayce went up three times, got fouled on at least two of them, but not foul call until the ball bounced out to Bates, who didn't appear to get touched.

It was, but Bates still needs to hit those free throws. How different does the game potentially go if we cut it to 6 right there?

Instead, as usual, we miss key free throws and the other team makes them. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If things don't improve quickly, it won't matter if/when we get Race and Xavier back, the season will basically already be over.

X was a big loss and I think we’re seeing this. Not only was he an emotional leader on the court but he was our first line of defense on the defensive end…and he was excellent at that. 

At this point I would buckle down and expect more losses to pile up. Its possible we can get fully healthy a couple games before the BTT and maybe we can begin to play our best ball prompting a run in post-season play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It was, but Bates still needs to hit those free throws. How different does the game potentially go if we cut it to 6 right there?

Simply put…making free throws are winning plays. It may sound cliche but it’s true…A good free throw shooter usually is a winner. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We actually shot better from the line than Nortwestern did yesterday...

But you're right..."Key" being the operative word...

The turnovers absolutely killed us though...Seemed like every time they got a hand o the ball, they beat us to it...And I think we're seeing that JHS is a wonderfully talented kid, but he needs to value the ball more...He owned up at the presser, but now lets put it into action...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We actually shot better from the line than Nortwestern did yesterday...

But you're right..."Key" being the operative word...

The turnovers absolutely killed us though...Seemed like every time they got a hand o the ball, they beat us to it...And I think we're seeing that JHS is a wonderfully talented kid, but he needs to value the ball more...He owned up at the presser, but now lets put it into action...

Yup, key free throws and turnovers were killer. Seems odd to say about a guy with 8 assists, but TJD was terrible passing out of the double team. Just some mind-boggling turnovers there. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

You were right….Getting old…..still freaking great game 

Jay Edwards…..smooth as silk 

I don't remember Jadlow having a game like that!  Incredible statline for anybody.  My few memories of him include a little showboating after a dunk and being immediately berated by RMK for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup, key free throws and turnovers were killer. Seems odd to say about a guy with 8 assists, but TJD was terrible passing out of the double team. Just some mind-boggling turnovers there. 

He was...but the other flaw I saw in his yesterday was something @EvilleHoosierpointed out...Over helping on defense...Nicholson had 4 FGs and I think 3 of the were dunks after Trayce left him to help on the perimeter...

I know Trayce was simply trying to hustle and show leadership, but we got burned a lot when we helped...And TJD even sauid in the post game that the communication wasn't there...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We beat UW 31 straight times. I miss the days when we played NW and UW it was an automatic win

1 hour ago, Between2Halls said:

It’s only right for us to return the favor. 

WI - IU has lost 8 of last 9 and 19 straight at Kohl Center

NW - IU has lost 3 of last 4 and 4 of last 6

Rutgers - IU has lost 8 of last 9 and 6 straight

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

One other point, I keep hearing rumors that X and Race may each be back sometime in February.  So I went and looked at the schedule.  We have 7 games left in January.  Of the 7, 4 are on the road and of the home games 2 are currently ranked (Wisconsin and Ohio State) and the third is a program that has given us trouble (Michigan State).  We start February against Purdue and Rutgers and then go on the road to Michigan and Northwestern.  So over the next 11 games we have 6 on the road and 5 at home.  Of the 5 at home, 3 teams are currently ranked in the Top 25 and the other 2 (Rutgers and Michigan State) have given us fits for years.

always easy for me to take the negative outlook to prepare myself for the worst, so... just to agree, but take it a step further... when they say possibly Feb., that doesn't necessarily mean Feb 1 and they will obviously be rusty when they do come back.  we mainly have to hope the roster as is can come together and at least start winning home games.  then we pray for a miracle run in the B1G tourney?

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He was...but the other flaw I saw in his yesterday was something @EvilleHoosierpointed out...Over helping on defense...Nicholson had 4 FGs and I think 3 of the were dunks after Trayce left him to help on the perimeter...

I know Trayce was simply trying to hustle and show leadership, but we got burned a lot when we helped...And TJD even sauid in the post game that the communication wasn't there...

Agree, though don't know that we have enough info to know whether that was TJD's fault. In the post game TJD made reference to coaches developing a great game plan but the players not following it and not executing it. 

He made specific mention of not switching on defense when they were supposed to and missing defensive rotations. So just unclear if he meant teammates or himself on some of those reads. 

Was he over helping or were those supposed to be switches? Either way, defensive assignments were missed way too much. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I don't remember Jadlow having a game like that!  Incredible statline for anybody.  My few memories of him include a little showboating after a dunk and being immediately berated by RMK for it.

my memory of him was that he was not very good.  i don't remember that performance either!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

always easy for me to take the negative outlook to prepare myself for the worst, so... just to agree, but take it a step further... when they say possibly Feb., that doesn't necessarily mean Feb 1 and they will obviously be rusty when they do come back.  we mainly have to hope the roster as is can come together and at least start winning home games.  then we pray for a miracle run in the B1G tourney?

For sure, like I said, I am trying to keep my pitchfork and torch on the wall but from sitting here right now, it doesn't look good.  If this season goes down the tank and Woodson is hoping to salvage anything, he needs to take a hard look at some of the players on the team and at his own staff.  Then he needs to look in the mirror.  This isn't the NBA and handling the team like it is has not been working.

You need your assistants to be good at more than recruiting.  If all that Rosemund and Hunter bring to the table is recruiting, one of them has got to go next year.  You absolutely need a teacher in one of those spots.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, though don't know that we have enough info to know whether that was TJD's fault. In the post game TJD made reference to coaches developing a great game plan but the players not following it and not executing it. 

He made specific mention of not switching on defense when they were supposed to and missing defensive rotations. So just unclear if he meant teammates or himself on some of those reads. 

Was he over helping or were those supposed to be switches? Either way, defensive assignments were missed way too much. 

This is just one of a few...Trayce leaves his guy to guard Audige (with Galloway) leaving Verhoven to cut inside for a dunk...Maybe it was Reneau's responsibility to cover for Trayce, but he was going out to guard Barnhizer on the perimeter...

Anyway, you're right...Not good communication...

image.png.9449be387252c0fc08fe8f745da92fb7.png

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This is just one of a few...Trayce leaves his guy to guard Audige (with Galloway) leaving Verhoven to cut inside for a dunk...Maybe it was Reneau's responsibility to cover for Trayce, but he was going out to guard Barnhizer on the perimeter...

Anyway, you're right...Not good communication...

image.png.9449be387252c0fc08fe8f745da92fb7.png

Funny, that's the exact play I was thinking of as well. I guess my point is, it was definitely a miscommunication, but we don't know if TJD was supposed to hedge and recover or if Galloway was supposed to switch. 

One of them didn't understand what was supposed to happen, that much is clear. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

For sure, like I said, I am trying to keep my pitchfork and torch on the wall but from sitting here right now, it doesn't look good.  If this season goes down the tank and Woodson is hoping to salvage anything, he needs to take a hard look at some of the players on the team and at his own staff.  Then he needs to look in the mirror.  This isn't the NBA and handling the team like it is has not been working.

You need your assistants to be good at more than recruiting.  If all that Rosemund and Hunter bring to the table is recruiting, one of them has got to go next year.  You absolutely need a teacher in one of those spots.

i agree.  my thought is that Juwan Howard looked good for a little while bc he has Martelli on his bench.  eventually we see it isn't enough and he isn't a very good coach and a maniac on top of it, but if Woodson had someone with solid college coaching experience, i think it would help.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i agree.  my thought is that Juwan Howard looked good for a little while bc he has Martelli on his bench.  eventually we see it isn't enough and he isn't a very good coach and a maniac on top of it, but if Woodson had someone with solid college coaching experience, i think it would help.

I agree.  My fear with Woodson is that his ego won't allow for that....

3 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Since December 3:

L: at Rutgers, -15

W: Nebraska, +16

L: Arizona (neutral), -14

L: at Kansas, -22

W: Elon, +24 (#318 Kenpom at the time)

W: Kennesaw State, +14 (#221 Kenpom at that time)

L: at Iowa, -2

L: Northwestern, -1

So much here to consider.  

Early in the season as both regional and national reporters saw IU practice more than a few described IU as having the depth for TWO starting 5’s.  Yet, it is being conveyed the overall and particularly defensive drop-off is due to X and Race “on the bench” with injuries.  Make no mistake, losing 2 Senior starters is significant. 

That said, it seems Chris Collins just won a road game with far, far less that Indiana has available even WITH injuries.

As a passionate fan, I am concerned not only about what unfolds from here this season, but future seasons. 

1.  Line substitutions, NBA style, are neither necessary or practiced by long-term successful programs

2.  Losing a 21-point lead?

3.  Xavier aside, will Indiana win any conference road games?

4.  Losing at home to Northwestern, after Iowa loss?

5.  Big early holes, no visible urgency 

6.  Something feels off.  Is it team chemistry?

Great point on the pre-season characterization of our depth as two starting fives. I remember one in particular from a B1G Network guy - maybe Bardo.

And yet we we've got guys offensively that appear uninvolved and hesitant to shoot. Defensively, we're making people look like the Golden State Warriors.

I'm really disappointed in the play of Bates, Kopp, Geronimo, Galloway, Reneau, etc. I understand they were expected to play secondary roles, but they are totally underwhelming given the pre-season hype. Suspect it's more how they're being used schematically and developed. 

couple thought.

1.  I absolutely love JHS.  I was one of those early on who didn't think Coach Woodson would start him due the way Coach Woodson played players the year prior.  I am happy to be wrong.  We may not have JHS next year.

2. Can JHS keep up this 30 point a game pace, probably not, which mean without anyone else stepping up, we going to fall shot on offense if we don't find another scorer.  Bates i am looking at you.

3. Coach and Kopp have got to get him 10 shots a game.  They have too.  he needs to score.

4. Race and X being gone are killing us.  Defense should be expected to fall off, but why does every other player not named TJD and to an extent JHS seem like they have never played defense.  And what the hell has happened to Galloways defense.  He seems to be a doorman welcoming everyone driving to the basket as they walk right past him

5. Gun, Banks, Leal, and Duncomb need minutes.  You have to develop your younger players in moments like this else they are not going to develop.  Practice is one thing, playing the game against high level game on time is critical to development. 

6. Jordan Geronimo looks lost, has no confidence and can't seem to get our of his own way/head.  He is a great athlete who feels like he is trying to remember what was told to him in practice and game is just too fast for him.  I wish he would just D up and forget about everything and play man on man.

7. With all the injuries, we should simplify our defense.  Stop helping as much or hedging and play man up d and a simple zone when needed or to throw a something different at them.  I feel like we're constantly trying to switch and hedge and help and it does is confuse everyone.  Adjust and adapt.  Let them get confidence and comfort with more minutes, then insert more complicated defense.

8. Malik is going to be good.  Needs confidence and how to use his body.  He gets moved around by way to many who are not as big as him.  Use the body big guy.  Hold your ground. I like this kid.  He is going to be a beast as a Junior/Senior

We're most likely not going to the Tourney this year even if we get X and Race back in mid to late Feb, i think it will be to late and they will have no conditioning to go full force like we need.  Coach could use this opportunity to build his younger players up.  Just my thoughts.  I don't really know much of anything, so i could be way off on most of this.

• Like 1

Can someone smarter than me (which wouldn't be that difficult to find) explain how we have been so bad on defense this year? I really thought this would be one of the better Ds in the country, considering how well we were doing last year, and essentially bringing the same core back for another year. TJD talking about issues with communication and whatnot yesterday just confuses me more. How is this an issue in year 2? Is it a situation where there have been adjustments made that we haven't countered? 

Cripes, we were even playing a zone at times yesterday which, to me, kind of seems a bit desperate.

I have been one who have said that Galloway needs to be our 8th or 8th player in  the rotation for us to be a good team.  I just don't think he brings enough to be a key rotational player.  He brings energy most of the time but this year he seems more passive with ball.

Edited by IU Scott