Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

I think we're a better team this year, and I don't really think it's close.  That is based on POTENTIAL.  Obviously nothing to go off of film wise, but athletically, shooting, and defensively I think we are already better just with the bodies we have.  Buy in to the system from the new guys and we are talking about a top 15 team in the thick of things in March 2024. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, kycarter88 said:

I think we're a better team this year, and I don't really think it's close.  That is based on POTENTIAL.  Obviously nothing to go off of film wise, but athletically, shooting, and defensively I think we are already better just with the bodies we have.  Buy in to the system from the new guys and we are talking about a top 15 team in the thick of things in March 2024. 

I think we potentially are if Ware and Mgbako perform to expectations.  Xavier, Galloway, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ware is a pretty tough starting 5.  If we get any growth out of Gunn or Banks or Jakai comes ready to play for 10 to 15 minutes, then we have a really strong roster.  I think it is really possible we will not individually have anyone as good as either TJD or JHS but the sum of all the parts could make for an overall better team.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think we potentially are if Ware and Mgbako perform to expectations.  Xavier, Galloway, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ware is a pretty tough starting 5.  If we get any growth out of Gunn or Banks or Jakai comes ready to play for 10 to 15 minutes, then we have a really strong roster.  I think it is really possible we will not individually have anyone as good as either TJD or JHS but the sum of all the parts could make for an overall better team.

This post x1000....Paper Tigers don't win anything. Guys need to be ready to play at a very high level. This is why that last scholly is so important. A lot of Questions in that starting 5 you have listed.

I think MM will be a good player for us, but he's still a freshman. New offense, new defense, gotta change his body, school, on his own for the first time. I don't think he will be consistently productive for us until mid season at the earliest.

will likely depend on his work ethic and coach ability.

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

This post x1000....Paper Tigers don't win anything. Guys need to be ready to play at a very high level. This is why that last scholly is so important. A lot of Questions in that starting 5 you have listed.

The potential is there but as we know that doesn't always translate.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

“I think the portal has made me take a deeper look into how quickly a high school player can help contribute to winning,” a coach in the ACC told On3. “Prior to the portal era, I feel like you could wait until conference play of their sophomore year for them to take that leap. With the ability to go into the portal in the spring and get an experienced college player, I feel like I’m less likely to want to wait as long for a high school player to develop.”

“You know you can’t win with freshmen, but you can’t afford a roster of good transfers,” a coach in the Big 12 said. “So you have to go out and find that sweet spot every year. Each cycle, you can only take two or three high school kids, but because they come cheaper, you have to take two or three. You just can’t take more than three of four transfers without breaking the bank.”

The A10 coach continued, “We don’t recruit high school kids as hard as we used to. There simply aren’t enough hours in the day.”

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

“I think the portal has made me take a deeper look into how quickly a high school player can help contribute to winning,” a coach in the ACC told On3. “Prior to the portal era, I feel like you could wait until conference play of their sophomore year for them to take that leap. With the ability to go into the portal in the spring and get an experienced college player, I feel like I’m less likely to want to wait as long for a high school player to develop.”

“You know you can’t win with freshmen, but you can’t afford a roster of good transfers,” a coach in the Big 12 said. “So you have to go out and find that sweet spot every year. Each cycle, you can only take two or three high school kids, but because they come cheaper, you have to take two or three. You just can’t take more than three of four transfers without breaking the bank.”

The A10 coach continued, “We don’t recruit high school kids as hard as we used to. There simply aren’t enough hours in the day.”

And its really bad when those 3 or 4 high school kids are one and done. Now you have 7 to fill the next year. The problem I see headed our way in 24 and 25. Cal at UK is seeing it now with 7 kids on scholly and he can't win in the portal. I know we all want 4 or 5 in 24 from high school but how do you win with that. I'm glad I'm not a coach in this mess.

• Like 1