Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

23 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Originally committed to KU's 2024 class then reclassified to 2023. Sounds like he should go to a high level prep school:

While Adams posted monster numbers during the high school season -- he even had a 50 point, 20 rebound game -- he wasn't always playing against the highest level of competition that Southern California has to offer. He's also not yet played a ton of high-level competition during grassroots ball in the spring and summer. Because of that, he is still a little rough around the edges. He can be a little loose with the ball, can improve his intensity at times and as a guy who wears his emotions on his sleeves, he can learn to not let negative plays impact him for too long.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/article/marcus-adams-kansas-basketball-national-letter-of-intent-212872385/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Will throw this in here courtesy of Trilly. He just tweeted out someone in the PNW (Pacific NorthWest) is unhappy already.

Assuming Mulcahy. 

Saw that... Also said his old school had already closed the door behind him... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Will throw this in here courtesy of Trilly. He just tweeted out someone in the PNW (Pacific NorthWest) is unhappy already.

Assuming Mulcahy. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Saw that... Also said his old school had already closed the door behind him... 

There were some portal stats floating around recently for the previous portal season and I recall being pretty surprised at the percentage of players in the portal that didn't find a new home.  That's aside from the percentage that end up being unhappy with their new home.  Makes me wonder if the portal activity might ease up in the future with more players deciding to stay put.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

There were some portal stats floating around recently for the previous portal season and I recall being pretty surprised at the percentage of players in the portal that didn't find a new home.  That's aside from the percentage that end up being unhappy with their new home.  Makes me wonder if the portal activity might ease up in the future with more players deciding to stay put.

I dont know if it will ease up too much. All the kids think that the grass is greener chasing the money and empty promises. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I dont know if it will ease up too much. All the kids think that the grass is greener chasing the money and empty promises. 

And I assume a good percentage of these kids have just had enough. They enter the portal as a formality to see if they get any interesting bites. If they not, they hang 'em up. I would assume most kids (most) have an understanding of the risks involved. Injuries probably play a big part as well. 

I was wondering if a "tweak" to the portal would help.

You enter the portal, the door back home is locked, and you don't have a key.

Can certainly see both sides, for and against such an idea, but it would no doubt reduce the 1500+ kids in the bball portal each year.

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I was wondering if a "tweak" to the portal would help.

You enter the portal, the door back home is locked, and you don't have a key.

Can certainly see both sides, for and against such an idea, but it would no doubt reduce the 1500+ kids in the bball portal each year.

When one enters the portal the door is locked, unless the coach wants to unlock it. The current rule is if one enters the portal one forfeits the current scholarship. 

3 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

When one enters the portal the door is locked, unless the coach wants to unlock it. The current rule is if one enters the portal one forfeits the current scholarship. 

Thanx...wasn't aware of that aspect of it. So there are several hundred kids who entered the portal, didn't find a new team, and are "out on the street" at this point? (assuming coach doesn't want them back)

26 minutes ago, DWB said:

Thanx...wasn't aware of that aspect of it. So there are several hundred kids who entered the portal, didn't find a new team, and are "out on the street" at this point? (assuming coach doesn't want them back)

I'd be curious about the final numbers, but kids understand when they officially enter the portal they no longer have a scholarship with the previous school. 

Some kids are welcomed back, some decide to give up the sport, some transfer to a different level, DII, DIII, NAIA, etc. End points run the gamut. 

10 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

I'd be curious about the final numbers, but kids understand when they officially enter the portal they no longer have a scholarship with the previous school. 

Some kids are welcomed back, some decide to give up the sport, some transfer to a different level, DII, DIII, NAIA, etc. End points run the gamut. 

All said and done….it’s a big risk and no guarantees!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Assuming Mulcahy. 

I once had an undersized female beagle that had 3 pups. There is a name for her in the old world dog crowd.

it doesn't rhyme with Mulcahy, but reminds me of him.  Good luck to him I guess.