Mgbako Arrested

ephul

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Do you still think 6 games and all the other crappy things you said about MM now that it appears he was trying to call his parents when the cops busted his window? .:snack:

From a law enforcement perspective, I can perfectly understand why they would be reluctant to have additional people called to the scene that they had not consented.  They have no way of knowing at that point whether he was calling his dad or someone else.  That's an additional unknown thrown into an already uncomfortable situation.

For that matter, we're assuming the whole calling the dad thing to be true.  We've already had invalid 'facts' appear in this story, such as which Taco Bell it was.  And, I'll add another.  The post by Chris from BTB that was screen captured talks about the armed robbery that also happened that morning and implies that was a factor in which department was called to the scene at Taco Bell.   That armed robbery did not occur until after 3 A.M., which was after the whole Taco Bell scene went down.  I'm not saying it was or wasn't BPD, but the suggestion that MCPD was directed to Taco Bell because the BPD was already working an armed robbery is not logical from a timing standpoint.  Taco Bell happened first.

There's two blatant rumor-mongering, social media falsehoods already in this story.  I'm going to trust the story published in in the actual press more than I am anything on social media until it is proven otherwise.   

From this point forward. I'll wait until it plays out and see how Coach Woodson handles it.  It may not be 6 games, but my gut tells me it will be more firm than many on here believe.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

Adding to the above.  Whether the police were justified in busting out his window should have ZERO impact on whatever punishment, if any, he receives from Coach Woodson for this incident.  Coach needs to talk to both MM, his parents, and the police, gain an understanding regarding what really happened (which is likely very different than what is speculated) and make a determination on how to handle it. 

His window being broken does not change the fact that the police were called to the scene.  It does not change the fact that he failed to leave the scene when asked multiple times.  And, it does not change the fact that he was arrested (the justification of which will depend on your point of view).  Breaking the window does not alter MM's own actions one iota.  Yet, it's being used in social media as evidence of injustice. 

If he had stepped out of the car and consented to being arrested without the smashing of the window, does that change the actual reason for the arrest in any way?  No, of course not.  So, why has the window smashing become the focus of the conversation?

• Like 2

How much time passes before MM makes a statement apologizing for his actions and suggesting that he should have handled things differently?

If the goal is to put this in the rear view mirror so it doesn’t become more of a distraction to the team than it already has, he needs to man up and publicly show that he has learned from his mistakes 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

If that’s true… Wow is all I’ve got right now.

Shame on the police, and shame on many of you. 

Waiting on his dad!?! He’s 18, he’s an adult.

GO HOME!!!! IT AIN’T THAT HARD. 

He had every opportunity to leave the vicinity and go home and this becomes a nothing burger. What was his dad going to do? Magically get him Taco Bell?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

How much time passes before MM makes a statement apologizing for his actions and suggesting that he should have handled things differently?

If the goal is to put this in the rear view mirror so it doesn’t become more of a distraction to the team than it already has, he needs to man up and publicly show that he has learned from his mistakes 

Good from a PR perspective, but not good for someone facing criminal charges. The latter situation says don’t say anything. 

I think what we have here is a case of being hangry.

My wife is the same when she's hungry, MM, you aren't alone. She listens to no one or to reason whens she's in that state of mind.  

The man just wanted some T Bell!! 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Let's wait and see how Coach Woodson handles it before we cast stones his way.  

As far as the comment about it not being the first incident, every coach at every single program in the country has to deal with these kind of things.

My perspective is that this is a more serious incident than both the Windy City Five and Racer X.  That said, if Coach doesnt hand out what I believe to be an appropriate punishment, I'll accept the fact he has more information than I do and move on.

All that said, I do think this should be a learning experience for the whole team and not just MM. Whatever comes from it, all players and coaches alike need to understand this type of behavior is not acceptable.  And that message needs to come from Coach Woodson.

Not throwing stones.  I'm 100% a Woody guy.  Just find it interesting how a lot of folks here(probably me included, haha) were all over CTC and Samscum when incidents happened.  Seems we've given Woody a pass.  Is that cause he's still new, a Knight guy or what?

Go Hoosiers!!!

Just now, Indy1987 said:

Not throwing stones.  I'm 100% a Woody guy.  Just find it interesting how a lot of folks here(probably me included, haha) were all over CTC and Samscum when incidents happened.  Seems we've given Woody a pass.  Is that cause he's still new, a Knight guy or what?

Go Hoosiers!!!

I’m willing to indulge you on what I think is similar or different if you give specific examples from each coach. 

3 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

I think it's because this is barely 24h old

18 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Seems like you're painting with a pretty broad brush here. I think this message board has always kind of fallen along the lines you see in this thread in terms of how we feel about punishment of players. 

In terms of coaching, Sampson is on an entire different level so that's kind of moot. 

As far as Crean and Woodson, Woodson is still fairly new and hasn't really had too many major problems, and I don't recall Crean catching a ton of heat for this stuff until that stretch where he had Yogi's incident, Troy Williams suspension, the Parea incidents and then of course the Holt/Devin Davis incident. 

I think those Crean things all happened in a fairly short time frame and were all worse than anything that's happened under Woodson. 

The context matters. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Seems like you're painting with a pretty broad brush here. I think this message board has always kind of fallen along the lines you see in this thread in terms of how we feel about punishment of players. 

In terms of coaching, Sampson is on an entire different level so that's kind of moot. 

As far as Crean and Woodson, Woodson is still fairly new and hasn't really had too many major problems, and I don't recall Crean catching a ton of heat for this stuff until that stretch where he had Yogi's incident, Troy Williams suspension, the Parea incidents and then of course the Holt/Devin Davis incident. 

I think those Crean things all happened in a fairly short time frame and were all worse than anything that's happened under Woodson. 

The context matters. 

Just an observation.  Not here to start s@#t.  I'm just gonna shut up and let y'all debate this crap instead of basketball.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

We had curfew being broken, excessive speeding, and a guy refusing to leave a fast food restaurant under Woody.

Sampson had drug dealers and Crean had, among other things, a bunch of players drinking which led to one of said players getting hit by a car driven by one of his teammates.

Woody isn't getting a bunch of flack because there is a pretty clear delineation in severity.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think what we have here is a case of being hangry.

My wife is the same when she's hungry, MM, you aren't alone. She listens to no one or to reason whens she's in that state of mind.  

The man just wanted some T Bell!! 

Already said that! You can’t steal it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Waiting on his dad!?! He’s 18, he’s an adult.

GO HOME!!!! IT AIN’T THAT HARD. 

He had every opportunity to leave the vicinity and go home and this becomes a nothing burger. What was his dad going to do? Magically get him Taco Bell?

Yes, he's only 18. In a new city, living on his own for the first time, and getting the cops called on him over an argument in the drive thru. It doesn't take much empathy to understand why he might be scared and want the support of his father, and that's before touching on any matters of race. 

There's been anger expressed in this thread, and really I just can't get there. Feels like one of those situations where it's enough to say I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

• Like 4