Army Post Game Thread

KDB

16 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

Just looked at our future opponent UConn to see how many they have shot in their two blowout victories.  They average 27-28 attempts through their first two games compared to our 12.  I think we even hit at a better percentage.  Kansas averages 26 attempts.  These two teams shoot almost twice as many as we do.  

And both teams have bigs that can neutralize Ware and Reneau. This isn't like FGCU or Army where we can get crushed from 3 but just pound it inside. We have no offensive fall back plan a the moment. 

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And both teams have bigs that can neutralize Ware and Reneau. This isn't like FGCU or Army where we can get crushed from 3 but just pound it inside. We have no offensive fall back plan a the moment. 

I'm not sure we have a plan A at the moment.

After two games, it feels like Reneau and Ware are playing concurrently, rather than cohesively. Malik plays like he wants/needs to score, independent of Ware, while Kel'el is a bit more situational (there seems to be a little bit better fluidity with him and the guards vs Reneau and the guards).

No one on the team is dominant enough to make us one-dimensional in the way we relied on TJD last year, but Ware should be our #1 option. (Reneau as a #2 or #3 (with XJ) is not a bad thing at all!) I thought we should've gone to Ware every single possession in the second half, until they double and triple-teamed him; not joking...

Just establish what works and expand from there.

• Like 1

My day after take. *Disclaimer: I did not read the game thread or any of this thread, so forgive my repetitive complaints.*

*Yet again a team makes more threes than we take and it keeps them within arms reach when they had no business being there. We made FOUR. 🤬

*Still haven’t figured out how to guard the perimeter and stop over-helping. I love Woody so far, but this has to change. Part of my concern is that these kids aren’t smart enough (??) to make split-second decisions sometimes. TG had a moment late in the game where he was stuck guarding two perimeter guys on a kick out and he left the redhead kid, leaving him wide open instead of the other shooter. 

*Maybe we don’t guard the perimeter well because we don’t have to in practice. Another year when we don’t have a shooter that everybody fears. Again, this is on Woody. I know MK was feared a little bit, but he couldn’t get open or get his own shot. 

*11 OR given up and only got 5. And only +3 on the boards against a much smaller team.

*Ware has been solid offensively, but he has to be tougher on the boards. I fear that he’s just going to get pushed around against good teams. Needs to be tougher in general IMO.

*18 turnovers is ridiculous against that competition.

*MM has to get better. As does Banks, Gunn, and Walker. 

*Also think TG needs to do a better job on the offensive end getting in the lane. Needs to impose himself more.

Positives - XJ and FTs. That’s it. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

Not time to hit the panic button just yet, but…

This is eerily similar to Archie-coached teams by being disjointed on offense and making really bad teams look like superstars.

The Buster Murdaugh look alike on Army had what will probably be his best game this season, ans was talking a lot of crap at Assembly Hall. Reminiscent of the Ft Wayne  debacles. 

I’m not overly concerned about MM at the moment, because I consider rather than being suspended, he was just given a really short leash? This is at least my hope. In the RMK days, it was called the “doghouse.”

We have been in this position before, and I think we all know that there are going to be some big-time losses coming up if things don’t turn around. 
Hopefully, by conference time, these guys will gel, but at the moment, yikes.

Which came first?

XJ sticking the ball in his gut walking to timeout huddle 

or 

Gingerfest 2023 ?

Easy to hate XJ but he gives a crap

For better or worse he’s taking a shot or stirring 💩 🆙 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Do you think it’s difficult to go from HS star to sit in the corner and shoot 4-5 3’s a game?

JHS spoiled us (meaning IU fans).  He arrived on campus with an old man's game and an old man's attitude.  His transition to college was significantly easier than most freshmen, especially considering the types of things Coach Woodson expects.  I will always have a soft spot for JHS because of his approach to the game.

Even so, JHS had some growing pains early on and did not truly flourish until X went down.  I obviously don't want anyone to get hurt, but we need to give the Frosh some time. 

That said, JHS made that transition on his own just as much as the coaching staff got him there.  The coaches should not have to tell kids to play hard or do fundamental things like block out.  Time spent on stuff like that is time wasted.  

• Like 4

I'm not as against the top of the key weave as some others. It's really meant to be more like when a QB puts a WR in motion pre-snap to try and identify if the defense is zone or man and to create a mismatch. 

In basketball you're trying to get the defense moving side-to-side, identify if they're switching and to create a mismatch once you go to the high ball screen. 

I'm not necessarily advocating for it, but there is a purpose to it. 

With all of that said, this is just a ridiculous effort. Just awful. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm not as against the top of the key weave as some others. It's really meant to be more like when a QB puts a WR in motion pre-snap to try and identify if the defense is zone or man and to create a mismatch. 

In basketball you're trying to get the defense moving side-to-side, identify if they're switching and to create a mismatch once you go to the high ball screen. 

I'm not necessarily advocating for it, but there is a purpose to it. 

With all of that said, this is just a ridiculous effort. Just awful. 

I'm no basketball guru and my knowledge of the game is outdated but wouldn't it be better to play an inside out offense?  That video was just, idk. Setting up for a low percentage shot?  

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm no basketball guru and my knowledge of the game is outdated but wouldn't it be better to play an inside out offense?  That video was just, idk. Setting up for a low percentage shot?  

It's not the action in the video that sets up a bad shot, it how embarrassingly bad and lazy IU ran the action. 

Like anything, if you give basically no effort and just go through the motions its not going to work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Oh my goodness everybody.

Yes, we looked very rough in our first two games.

But good grief guys. This is like reading an obituary.

It's early. 

Hey man, I'm just trying to dust off my basketball/football knowledge.  I've been married 15 years and finally took my balls back a couple years ago. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Oh my goodness everybody.

Yes, we looked very rough in our first two games.

But good grief guys. This is like reading an obituary.

It's early. 

Agreed.  Time for some positivity.  I absolutely LOVE those candy striped warmups.  And, uhhhh,,,,,,,,,our def.....well on offen,,,,,,,,,,,,geez there has to be something.....just give me a moment to think of.......OH MY GOD WE"RE DOOMED!!!!  :panic:  AND PURDUE IS GOOD!  :panic:  WE CAN"T SHOOT!!  :panic:  I MISS ARCHIE!!!!  :panic:  THE FOOTBALL TEAM HAS WON MORE GAMES THAN BASKETBALL!!!!  :panic: WHERE"S WALDO! :panic: STORES ARE ALREADY PLAYING CHRISTMAS MUSIC!!!! :panic:  DID I TAKE MY MEDS?  I DON"T REMEMBER!!!!!! :panic:

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was out of town and couldn’t watch the game live, so I watched the tape last night. Looks like Ware, Reneau and XJ will carry us this year. Still too soon to tell where we’ll be in March, but barely beating FGCU and Army at home is not very encouraging. 

Something that continues to amaze me is that every school we play (including low mid-majors) has knock down shooters that kill us. I realize our perimeter defense needs to improve, but you still have to make the shot even if you’re wide open, so it’s not luck…these guys can shoot. 

So, I have to ask…why can’t we find a couple of those guys?  

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

All right - I rarely take the optimistic/positive stance, and to be honest, not feeling it right now, but if I'm reaching... Ware is a legit shot blocker.  He's been pretty solid offensively vs weak teams and you gotta think he can get better and better with his length and diversity.  Cupps has been better than expected this early in the season.  Gotta love Sparks energy and effort.  Reneau is a capable low post scorer that has shown some progress with his range as well.  X is as experienced PG as there is in college bball.  Seems to want to lead.  Mbako is a long, talented player.  Walker gives nice depth with length, defense, and rebounding.  We know based on last year that Galloway can be a serviceable B1G starter.  Gunn can be a bench scorer.  Banks is a long athlete that has shown some shooting ability.  You gotta think the pieces will start clicking better as the season goes on.  There!  I only pointed out positives!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

All right - I rarely take the optimistic/positive stance, and to be honest, not feeling it right now, but if I'm reaching... Ware is a legit shot blocker.  He's been pretty solid offensively vs weak teams and you gotta think he can get better and better with his length and diversity.  Cupps has been better than expected this early in the season.  Gotta love Sparks energy and effort.  Reneau is a capable low post scorer that has shown some progress with his range as well.  X is as experienced PG as there is in college bball.  Seems to want to lead.  Mbako is a long, talented player.  Walker gives nice depth with length, defense, and rebounding.  We know based on last year that Galloway can be a serviceable B1G starter.  Gunn can be a bench scorer.  Banks is a long athlete that has shown some shooting ability.  You gotta think the pieces will start clicking better as the season goes on.  There!  I only pointed out positives!

Are you living in Danny Davito’s imaginary happy place?

• Like 1