2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

52 minutes ago, Yelamo said:

I agree that it was a a clear and obvious mistake last year. But that is because the hole seemed obvious at this time last year. The team was missing a playmaking guard/scorer in the backcourt. IU needed a starter at this time last year and for whatever reason it seems like they swung and missed for Knecht and decided they couldn’t get someone better than what they had and on the way which was crazy to me. Imagine what Isiah Swope would have done for this team.  

I could probably forgive it this year if they wanted to have flexibility (after adding a shooter and a big)  for one spot because I think the roster looks much better and the hole doesn’t seem so glaring to me right now. Given that it seems Galloway and Cupps will be coming off the bench along with a McDonald’s all American freshmen - I would atleast understand the thinking this time around. But I could see an argument for an emergency front court player too. 

The bold. I want two more bigs 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iuswingman said:

because that nobody has a much higher chance of becoming somebody than that empty chair.  Plus, it's another player for practice, one that would presumably be better than the walk-ons.

And whose to say #13 would be the least talented of the scholarship players?    Maybe said player is good enough to crack the rotation and push someone else down.

Last year we could’ve used it on anyone better than our backcourt but this year we aren’t getting anyone else better than what we have. Think about it. This year is a completely different scenario. You don’t just throw it out there. I’d rather a walk on in his senior year get it than some random dude who has zero chance. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I don't know who but there are several programs around the country that do that. I don't agree with it but I have seen schools benefit from it before. 

It also hurts schools aka IU last year. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Mmm ok. 

Then I don't EVER want to hear anything about youth, injuries, anything of that nature again. 

I think its 100% malpractice to not fill every scholly. I also find it unimaginable after last season. 

I don’t disagree with your thought process but let me play devils advocate for a minute. Let’s say next year we have 7 open spots because this year we took that 13th school on a project. We now get Sisley, Mullins, Harelson,Adams m, and Moreni to all commit. We now only have two spots for experienced portal players. I think Mullins and Sisley are probably on equal footing as cupps coming in as a freshman skill set wise. It handicaps us some 

22 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Last year we could’ve used it on anyone better than our backcourt but this year we aren’t getting anyone else better than what we have. Think about it. This year is a completely different scenario. You don’t just throw it out there. I’d rather a walk on in his senior year get it than some random dude who has zero chance. 

You never know how the year will play out and what injuries might occur.   There is no reason to purposely go a player short.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I don’t disagree with your thought process but let me play devils advocate for a minute. Let’s say next year we have 7 open spots because this year we took that 13th school on a project. We now get Sisley, Mullins, Harelson,Adams m, and Moreni to all commit. We now only have two spots for experienced portal players. I think Mullins and Sisley are probably on equal footing as cupps coming in as a freshman skill set wise. It handicaps us some 

Respectfully, just tell someone you don't want there to leave. 

Purdue just did this. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Respectfully, just tell someone you don't want there to leave. 

Purdue just did this. 

I tend to agree. It would be one thing if we didn't need this player, but the past few seasons have told us we probably will at some point. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I tend to agree. It would be one thing if we didn't need this player, but the past few seasons have told us we probably will at some point. 

With Newton’s injury, they would realistically be at 11 going in to next season if they leave the scholly open. We all hope he can play, but that’s a big question mark at this time. 
Even if he can play some, I don’t feel good about Leal and Newton as Carlyle’s backups. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

With Newton’s injury, they would realistically be at 11 going in to next season if they leave the scholly open. We all hope he can play, but that’s a big question mark at this time. 
Even if he can play some, I don’t feel good about Leal and Newton as Carlyle’s backups. 

What did you do with Trey and Cupps?

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Newton will have no restrictions come Exhibition #1 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Newton will have no restrictions come Exhibition #1 

This. According to what I was told, he could’ve played late in the season, but ultimately decided the redshirt was the right plan of action. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I can’t wait to see what he can do! I know he has been injured for a good bit, but if he can be fully recovered and stay healthy he could potentially be beast. 

Looking forward to him as a defensive stopper a la Chris Reynolds

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I keep seeing them backing up Rice in the projected lineup, although I don’t think that’s realistic. I think they start Galloway

Why? is Woody going 4 guards? Galloway starts, MR sits.

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

That's stupid. But ok 

9 hours ago, DC2345 said:

They like holding one open just in case someone pops up right before the season or during the season they want to add. 

That's exactly the way I'd play it...a late high quality add.

13 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

And thus is the beauty of the amorphous nature of the combo guard. Just hypothetically, let’s say our “starting” backcourt is Rice and Carlyle. If either one goes down, odds are you’d insert Galloway into the starting lineup. If it’s Rice that goes down, yes it leaves you without a “true” point, but Galloway or Carlyle are as decent a stopgap as any, and you could also have Cupps getting a few extra minutes. If it’s Carlyle that goes down, Galloway still starts at the 2, with Newton or Leal likely picking up a few extra minutes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I keep seeing them backing up Rice in the projected lineup, although I don’t think that’s realistic. I think they start Galloway

Galloway will not be starting unless there's injuries. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Galloway will not be starting unless there's injuries. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I believe that. Carlyle isn't coming off the bench. 

I know they didn't bring Carlyle in to be a backup, but if Gallo's healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start at the beginning of the season.