2024 SF Bryson Tucker Commits to INDIANA!!

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think this kid starts, but certainly seems like someone we can offense through when we sub, compared to... gulp CJ Gunn. 

Who do you have starting in front of him? Or do you know something about another player better yet to be named?

46 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

So so so many discounting the value of JHS, TJD, Malik, MM, Ware improving their game? SMH

I care about winning as a team, so outside of the TJD seasons, which could be argued we underachieved, I couldn't care less about individual players, unless it meant the growth as a collective.  So far it hasn't...

Also, the only way we take the step as a collective is if the second and third tier player develop, which they have not.  

Edited by IUALUM03

Just now, Drroogh said:

Who do you have starting in front of him? Or do you know something about another player better yet to be named?

TG, MM, MR, transfer PG.... 

Either 5, or another transfer guard.. and this kid off the bench. 

4 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Also, the only way we take the step as a collective is if the second and third tier player develop, which they have not.  

Agree about the bench needing to improve but is this on the staff or the players? I mean highly touted Tamar hasn’t exactly blown up since he left! Or any of the other players that saw greener grass.

• Like 1

One other note as it relates to Liam versus Bryson.  Liam > Bryson only because Liam is a 3 point threat, which is what we need.  Bryson seems to be more of a slasher, pull-up player.  We still need three point threats.  Until we have these in multiples, we are still the same 'ol IU since Crean left and are going to struggle. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Agree about the bench needing to improve but is this on the staff or the players? I mean highly touted Tamar hasn’t exactly blown up since he left! Or any of the other players that saw greener grass.

I mean who is that on though?  Either they scouted wrong, they couldn't develop, or they screwed up these kids careers by not getting off on the right footing.   All fall on the same group of coaches in the end. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Thanks, kinda..

It still feels like several parade floats that have a big self qualifying, sign that says... MEH, this is an ok parade, you could do better, but it won't last. While the people on the sidewalks in lawn chairs say..... Then why are you in the parade?

But you won't catch me rooting against those posts.  

🤷🏻‍♂️. Sorry? Not sure where the confusion is. I don’t think Woodson’s recruiting, and playing style have been acceptable. He’s too stubborn and doesn’t seem to take much accountability. And he’s 63 years old, on the back end of his career, so changing isn’t likely.  I just don’t think he’s the right guy for the job. But I hope all of that changes, he grows ….because I’m not going to root for us to lose.

This one commitment is a start to moving in that direction, but it doesn’t change much in my book yet. It’s like me having a car that has multiple things wrong on it. A mechanic says that he can fix one of the issues. Okay, well that’s fine, but my car still isn’t fixed. I need everything fixed so it runs correctly. Since we’re using analogies and such. Only a small part of the job is done. We can be happy about it, but it’s not something that just makes everything okay all of a sudden. If we bring in multiple shooters to address our main weakness and it looks like the pieces are there…. then the happy meter can certainly move to the right a little bit. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Probably hoping Mgbako stays.

If Mgbako stays and both start with Reneau (who isn't sitting), then you have a decision to make between protecting the rim with a center like Ware (or poor man's version more likely) and having a huge lineup or hoping those 3 can be enough size and put them with 2 guards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I like the better difference and mid range.  Reminds me of JHS and his midrange.  Hopefully MM at the 4 and the Telford can shoot threes.

With all due respect, we don't need further clogging inside of the arc.  We need spacing and three point threats.  This is the exact opposite of what we need outside of the length on the defensive side. We need the 4 and 1 offense that was promised to us by Woody. 

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, IUALUM03 said:

With all due respect, we don't need further clogging inside of the arc.  We need spacing and three point threats.  This is the exact opposite of what we need outside of the length on the defensive side. We need the 4 and 1 offense that was promised to us by Woody. 

Plenty of players and time.  And I appreciate you respect me.  Even my wife doesn’t 😆 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I guess getting a McDonald’s All American to commit just isn’t good enough? 
image.gif.ed17a1f58961e6f1926209bef760f36d.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I agree that there are plenty of good players but we need the right combination of players.    We don’t need one thing, we need complements.   For example, I think we need 4 guys between the 1, 2, 3 positions.   In that group, I would like 4 guys who have an answer defensively.  I would like two to be legit ball handlers (then I’m redshirting Cupps).   Two need to be excellent shooters.   

Someone may be an outstanding player but not the perfect fit for our situation right now.  

I think that shooting and our offensive structure are critical.  We can’t just watch Miller Kopp stand in the corner passively.  We can’t have the ball go into Reneau and then never come out.  It’s not appealing or winning basketball.  We’ve seen that. 

The most critical thing I’m rooting for is fixing the long term personnel.  Next year was heavily gutted and beyond that was basically nil.  If Woody can get the roster normalized for the future, that will be a huge win for all of us.  

I have been pounding the table for Ryan Conwell   High motor, tough kid.  Shot well and not a slow setup   Good size and rebounds like an animal for his position.

A lot of people disagree with me, but these really good mid major players have proven that they acquit themselves very nicely at this level.  It’s proven constantly.   I’m not a snob about a guy at a school like ISU.  I think they would have finished 3rd or 4th in the B1G and they absolutely got hosed by the committee.   

just my two cents.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I guess getting a McDonald’s All American to commit just isn’t good enough? 
image.gif.ed17a1f58961e6f1926209bef760f36d.gif

Big hole, my friend, we have to dig ourselves out of, so not yet and really I'm done with the off-season wins.  Show me we can compete consistently throughout the season with no big losing streaks, scoring droughts, and late season heroics to squeak into the tourney and then you might see me smile...maybe.

Edit:  My avatar is Larry David.  What do you expect?  ;)

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Who would you rather have:

13.1 pts, 38 3pt%, 4.1 rebs, 78.5 FT%, 1.1 Ast sits on arc, below average defender

14.0 pts, 30 3pt%, 4.4 rebs, 78.8 FT% 4.6 Ast gets to the rim and a bulldog defender

• Like 2

Just now, ledies22 said:

Who would you rather have:

13.1 pts, 38 3pt%, 4.1 rebs, 78.5 FT%, 1.1 Ast sits on arc, below average defender

14.0 pts, 30 3pt%, 4.4 rebs, 78.8 FT% 4.6 Ast gets to the rim and a bulldog defender

With the composition of our team currently, the former, but I understand why you pose that question.  I don't want another season MR dribbling into double and triple teams because he doesn't have the confidence to throw it out to someone behind the arc that can make a shot. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

With the composition of our team currently, the former, but I understand why you pose that question.  I don't want another season MR dribbling into double and triple teams because he doesn't have the confidence to throw it out to someone behind the arc that can make a shot. 

Or throw it out to someone who can go by their defender. IU needs both!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Or throw it out to someone who can go by their defender. IU needs both!!

True.  I just think the 3 ball is the higher priority currently and the more difficult find for us for some reason.   Think about what we could have been the last three seasons with a lights out shooter or two?  

Edited by IUALUM03