2024 SF Bryson Tucker Commits to INDIANA!!

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Does anyone have a breakdown of his stats over the last 2 years?  I couldn't find anything other than some USA stats.  What is his shooting percentage?  Free throws?  3pts?  Just like to see what he did recently.  

Great pick up.  He plays the 3, Mbako goes to the 4 and MR to the 5.  Pick up a CG, 2x SG and a PG and we're good

Dynamic point guard…couple shooters and back up big/rim protector.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Good video here.  not a top shelf athlete, but springy, seems like a has a big wing span. 

He isn't weak from behind the 3pt line, in fact, his shot looks solid. 

Shot is a little flat, but has a very quick release.  The highlights showed most of his pull-ups were from 10-15 feet, not the CJ Gunn 18-20 footers. Also really like his ability to create his own shot, and drive with either hand.

• Like 3

Not a freak athlete but really skilled 

Looks better all around than Liam imho 

Poor man’s Evan Turner or bigger JHS ?

Put on 20 pounds and he could be a tough matchup for small wings 

Jumper is a little funky but it’s smooth and goes in….turnaround is advanced for a 17 year old 

A lot too like & work with 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Jumper is a little funky but it’s smooth and goes in….turnaround is advanced for a 17 year old 

The problem is Cliff Marshall is used to training nfl guys and while I agree some people need to put on weight it seems a lot of guys that came to us as shooters and all of a sudden have struggles can be linked to him not working on the correct areas needed for basketball players. Also sure seems like our players have had a lot of lower leg injuries. Way more than other schools since he has taken over. I wish an NFL team would come scoop him up

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

From the videos i have seen, he doesn't look better than liam.  But that is just me.  I am going to agree with btown in that he doesn't look like a starter, but more of a 15-20min guy off the bench.  Liam was a day 1 starter level talent though.  I honestly don't think this kid is a 5* level talent from the little i have seen.  But i know nothing about anything so take for what its worth.

• Like 1

I think people are trying to compare Bryson to the wrong players.? He’s not Liam 2.0! Hate to say it but @Purdue7 may be right, a bigger JHS? He doesn’t go all the way to the hole which often results in a turnover. (See X) He goes to his spot and goes up away from the defender so as to not get blocked. If you watch quite often you can see the defenders adjusting to close in on the drive and he simply goes up for the midrange. But what do I know?🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The problem is Cliff Marshall is used to training nfl guys and while I agree some people need to put on weight it seems a lot of guys that came to us as shooters and all of a sudden have struggles can be linked to him not working on the correct areas needed for basketball players. Also sure seems like our players have had a lot of lower leg injuries. Way more than other schools since he has taken over. I wish an NFL team would come scoop him up

What shooters have we gotten while Clif has been here that “he” has ruined? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

What shooters have we gotten while Clif has been here that “he” has ruined? 

Not attributing to Clif, but here are a couple examples based on FT% of what happens at IU:

Parker Stewart:

Year 1 Pitt:   80%

Year 2 TN Martin: 77%

Year 3 IU: 64%

Year 4 TN Martin: 75%

Trey Galloway:

Year 1: 74%

Year 2: 65%

Year 3: 64%

Year 4: 53%

Miller Kopp - had his lowest shooting % at 82% of his career, except for his freshman year at NW. Went from 90% his soph year at NW and 85% his jr year to 86% year 1 at IU and 82% in year 2. More notable, his last year at NW he attempted 66 FTs in 24 games. His last year at IU, he attempted 23 in 35 games.

XJ: Was 78-79% his last year at PItt and first two years at IU. Was 69% this season (could be injury-related).

The only recent player I've found, so far, who improved during his time at IU was Race Thompson, but he was still below 70% his last season.

16 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not attributing to Clif, but here are a couple examples based on FT% of what happens at IU:

Parker Stewart:

Year 1 Pitt:   80%

Year 2 TN Martin: 77%

Year 3 IU: 64%

Year 4 TN Martin: 75%

Trey Galloway:

Year 1: 74%

Year 2: 65%

Year 3: 64%

Year 4: 53%

Miller Kopp - had his lowest shooting % at 82% of his career, except for his freshman year at NW. Went from 90% his soph year at NW and 85% his jr year to 86% year 1 at IU and 82% in year 2. More notable, his last year at NW he attempted 66 FTs in 24 games. His last year at IU, he attempted 23 in 35 games.

XJ: Was 78-79% his last year at PItt and first two years at IU. Was 69% this season (could be injury-related).

The only recent player I've found, so far, who improved during his time at IU was Race Thompson, but he was still below 70% his last season.

But are we really trying to blame Clif for not being able to shoot FTs? What high volume, dead eye shooters have we successfully recruited in the last 5 years? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

But are we really trying to blame Clif for not being able to shoot FTs? What high volume, dead eye shooters have we successfully recruited in the last 5 years? 

That's why I said I wasn't attributing it to Clif. However, something is amiss when players get worse over their tenure at IU. I used FTs because that doesn't account for competition, style of play, etc.

How does Parker Stewart shoot 77% at TN Martin, 64% at IU and then 75% again at TN Martin?

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That's why I said I wasn't attributing it to Clif. However, something is amiss when players get worse over their tenure at IU. I used FTs because that doesn't account for competition, style of play, etc.

How does Parker Stewart shoot 77% at TN Martin, 64% at IU and then 75% again at TN Martin?

Bigger stage, more pressure, higher expectations …. 🤷🏻‍♂️. I don’t know. Don’t think any of it should be attributed to Clif. We need to recruit better and make sure those guys are dogs, work at it. Regardless of what Clif does, if these guys shoot a couple hundred FTs a day (or maybe more), they’ll get better. Obviously don’t shoot enough. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Bigger stage, more pressure, higher expectations …. 🤷🏻‍♂️. I don’t know. Don’t think any of it should be attributed to Clif. We need to recruit better and make sure those guys are dogs, work at it. Regardless of what Clif does, if these guys shoot a couple hundred FTs a day (or maybe more), they’ll get better. Obviously don’t shoot enough. 

IDK. How does Gallo go from 70% to 65% to 64% to 53%? That should never happen. Shooting 200 FTs a day won't fix that.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IDK. How does Gallo go from 70% to 65% to 64% to 53%? That should never happen. Shooting 200 FTs a day won't fix that.

You’re using an extreme case of a guy with the yips who needs direction from a coach who knows how to shoot. Normal guys, absolutely reps fix confidence issues at the line. 

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

From the videos i have seen, he doesn't look better than liam.  But that is just me.  I am going to agree with btown in that he doesn't look like a starter, but more of a 15-20min guy off the bench.  Liam was a day 1 starter level talent though.  I honestly don't think this kid is a 5* level talent from the little i have seen.  But i know nothing about anything so take for what its worth.

There is no question,  however, that Coach Woodson starts him whether he is ready or not. We saw that last season.

18 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

You’re using an extreme case of a guy with the yips who needs direction from a coach who knows how to shoot. Normal guys, absolutely reps fix confidence issues at the line. 

Just saying, no one significantly improved their shooting under Miller or Woodson. When Crean was coach and Tim "the shot doctor" Buckley was assistant, numerous guys improved their shooting. It isn't just repetition. Repeating bad form won't help anything. 

Last season, Zeisloft had the second highest offensive rating of any player in the country, according to KenPom.com. He shot 45 percent on 3-pointers, including 51.4 percent in Big Ten play.

He’s not the only guy who has experienced major improvements in shooting in the Indiana program under Crean and associate head coach Tim Buckley, who several players call the team’s “shot doctor.”

Watford went from a 31.4 percent 3-point shooter as a freshman to 48.4 percent by his senior season. 

The shooting jump Oladipo made in his junior season, one in which he hit 44 percent of his 3s, is a major reason his NBA stock skyrocketed. 

“When you first get here, coach Crean focuses on turning your hips and having your left foot one, two,” Ferrell told Inside the Hall. “So that’s what I would focus on after practice and just shooting by myself was the mechanics of it. And we’ve got a great, great shooting coach with coach (Tim) Buckley. He tells us to be up with the ball, elbow under the ball, so with every shot, I focus on those things. With that going into my senior year, I feel like I’m even a better shooter now than I’ve ever been.”

Fans arriving early to Assembly Hall may notice Buckley and Collin Hartman going through a shooting routine, one that helped Hartman develop into a 47.5 percent 3-point shooter last season.

Zeisloft says he does something similar with Buckley’s instruction.

“They see the details. Coach Buckley and I do mine before the shoot around in the afternoon,” Zeisloft says. “So we’re both basically doing the same thing. Coach Buck sees my elbow when it’s popping out a little bit, he sees my chest when it’s fading back a little bit, he sees my chin up and tells me to keep my chin down. It’s the little things.”

https://www.insidethehall.com/2015/10/08/getting-better-all-the-time-tom-creans-culture-of-player-development/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Just saying, no one significantly improved their shooting under Miller or Woodson. When Crean was coach and Tim "the shot doctor" Buckley was assistant, numerous guys improved their shooting. It isn't just repetition. Repeating bad form won't help anything. 

Last season, Zeisloft had the second highest offensive rating of any player in the country, according to KenPom.com. He shot 45 percent on 3-pointers, including 51.4 percent in Big Ten play.

He’s not the only guy who has experienced major improvements in shooting in the Indiana program under Crean and associate head coach Tim Buckley, who several players call the team’s “shot doctor.”

Watford went from a 31.4 percent 3-point shooter as a freshman to 48.4 percent by his senior season. 

The shooting jump Oladipo made in his junior season, one in which he hit 44 percent of his 3s, is a major reason his NBA stock skyrocketed. 

“When you first get here, coach Crean focuses on turning your hips and having your left foot one, two,” Ferrell told Inside the Hall. “So that’s what I would focus on after practice and just shooting by myself was the mechanics of it. And we’ve got a great, great shooting coach with coach (Tim) Buckley. He tells us to be up with the ball, elbow under the ball, so with every shot, I focus on those things. With that going into my senior year, I feel like I’m even a better shooter now than I’ve ever been.”

Fans arriving early to Assembly Hall may notice Buckley and Collin Hartman going through a shooting routine, one that helped Hartman develop into a 47.5 percent 3-point shooter last season.

Zeisloft says he does something similar with Buckley’s instruction.

“They see the details. Coach Buckley and I do mine before the shoot around in the afternoon,” Zeisloft says. “So we’re both basically doing the same thing. Coach Buck sees my elbow when it’s popping out a little bit, he sees my chest when it’s fading back a little bit, he sees my chin up and tells me to keep my chin down. It’s the little things.”

https://www.insidethehall.com/2015/10/08/getting-better-all-the-time-tom-creans-culture-of-player-development/

If there’s anyone on staff I’m disappointed in, it’s Jordan! Not sure what the story is but one of IU’s better shooters should be able to help!

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

You don’t think working out muscles has anything to do with shooting? I don’t know your background but have you coach basketball? Your legs have absolutely everything to do with it and if you work the wrong part of muscles in your legs or overwork them then that has a major impact.

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

If there’s anyone on staff I’m disappointed in, it’s Jordan! Not sure what the story is but one of IU’s better shooters should be able to help!

Hulls is Recruiting Coordinator. Calbert is Director of Player Development in a "non-coaching role". I don't know if Hulls works with the players or not. Don't think it's really in his job description. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Great pick up.  He plays the 3, Mbako goes to the 4 and MR to the 5.  Pick up a CG, 2x SG and a PG and we're good

Admire your enthusiasm. Wish I could share it. (sigh) Until I see proof consistently on the floor, color me skeptical.

Not dissing Bryson at all. I'm sure he's very good. And we'll certainly be better (but maybe not great) because of him.

5 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Liam was 95% shooting & offense 

This kid looks to have quite a few tools in his bag…might be able to defend & rebound as a freshman