2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

This is where the myth of Indiana Basketball actually hurts the program of today. IU didn't just win because we had one of the five greatest coaches in the history of the sport. We also needed dudes. From '77 to '94, Knight was bringing in a McDonald's All American in nearly every class. Most of those guys were from Indiana, but not all. And when the state doesn't provide, you need to go else where. If Archie did anything well, it was recruit the state. Look where that got us.

2 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

87 team says hello. 3 indiana kids and only one played(Alford). You take the best and if it’s Indiana kids then cool. Indiana isn’t the hotbed it once was. You do get some players that have something to prove after getting snubbed. 

Thats a flat out lie. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

This is where the myth of Indiana Basketball actually hurts the program of today. IU didn't just win because we had one of the five greatest coaches in the history of the sport. We also needed dudes. From '77 to '94, Knight was bringing in a McDonald's All American in nearly every class. Most of those guys were from Indiana, but not all. And when the state doesn't provide, you need to go else where. If Archie did anything well, it was recruit the state. Look where that got us.

Archie did a horrible job identifying which ones we should want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Don’t mistake best with stars. We see how a certain southern Indiana 5* turned out. You want talent whether they are from Indiana or Yemen. 

Yeah, my post was more geared at the idea we’re letting A LOT of talent go elsewhere without putting much effort into them because they appeared to be less athletic/skilled than others. Give me a slightly less talented kid that can shoot and knows how to play the game vs a kid that has the so-called more potential that takes two years to develop. This isn’t the old style college formula anymore where you have 3-4 years to watch a kid development. There’s also something to be said about the kid that knows what IU basketball stands for, means a little more. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, my post was more geared at the idea we’re letting A LOT of talent go elsewhere without putting much effort into them because they appeared to be less athletic/skilled than others. Give me a slightly less talented kid that can shoot and knows how to play the game vs a kid that has the so-called more potential that takes two years to develop. This isn’t the old style college formula anymore where you have 3-4 years to watch a kid development. There’s also something to be said about the kid that knows what IU basketball stands for, means a little more. 

I understand what you are saying. Lots of misses lately. Can’t deny that. I just don’t know if you can win it all with mostly Indiana kids year in and year out. I think you can have a too much talent problem. Look at UK. They can score and score but can’t defend. I’m not sure kids truly know what IU basketball is anymore. Been a long time. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

McNeely?

Yeap, guys like him. We’ve failed at finding those guys in recent years. Which is unacceptable when there’s normally some sitting in your backyard. Not saying the state of Indiana has guys as talented as McNeely (total package it appears) regularly. Nor am I saying the state of Indiana is the only one that produces kids like that. But we’ve missed on plenty that know the game and can shoot that were on our doorstep.

• Like 2

Just now, Victobmyboy said:

I understand what you are saying. Lots of misses lately. Can’t deny that. I just don’t know if you can win it all with mostly Indiana kids year in and year out. I think you can have a too much talent problem. Look at UK. They can score and score but can’t defend. I’m not sure kids truly know what IU basketball is anymore. Been a long time. 

That’s fair enough. I think the right guy (hope that’s Woody moving forward) can find the right balance of kids like the state typically produces mixed with out-of-state, talented guys that know how to play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

That’s fair enough. I think the right guy (hope that’s Woody moving forward) can find the right balance of kids like the state typically produces mixed with out-of-state, talented guys that know how to play. 

To be fair the state has had some duds. 2022 class..ehhh.  Essegian and Smith but how would they fit? Essegian is in a good system for him. Argue smith is too. Is that a knock on Woody? Maybe. 2023 wasn’t a great guard class.  2024 ick. 2025 is the class. 

Edited by Victobmyboy

The Montverde pipeline is one that we have made great inroads in. If we can continue to get a guy or two from there on a consistent basis, it would be asinine to not recruit them. Add at least 1-2 of the top ten Indiana guys and then supplement from elsewhere on an as needed basis.

As an example, I really wanted Fland. Point guards from the NYC area are gold Jerry, gold.

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

100%.  It’s the mixture of having 5 star athletes and savvy, tough, skilled players.  From the beginning of time, that tough “Indiana boy” player gets churned out by the state.  Some states are full of urban areas and they spit out the Lew Alcindors.  Indiana has the stereotype of the hoop stuck on a barn or garage and some kid shoveling snow so he can shoot outside.   We produce that kid like California produces fake boobs on a bleached blonde.   It would be idiotic not to take advantage of our strengths, in-state.  

A big issue is talent evaluation, makeup, character, effort, motor, competitiveness.  We need a blend of some of those guys.  Gabe Cupps has it.   The kid who wants to put up hundreds of shots, gets in the weight room, studies, can’t get enough, instead of the kid who looks great getting off the bus, wants to get high all the time, can’t hit a free throw to save his life but on paper looks theoretically good.  We have lost track of that analysis.  

Bob Knight had it.  He was pulling in Tom Coverdale and Kirk Haston.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

87 team says hello. 3 indiana kids and only one played(Alford). You take the best and if it’s Indiana kids then cool. Indiana isn’t the hotbed it once was. You do get some players that have something to prove after getting snubbed. 

Agree that the ‘87 team was less Indiana centric, but it still fits the model of “Indiana kids that know how to play….and can shoot” plus “Mix in highly rated, talented out of state kids that fit in.”

And actually, I don’t care too much about where they are actually from, but Indiana historically has produced those tough, smart, solid players in spades.

My thought was more about focusing more heavily on fundamentally sound, and skilled players, (even if they’re not from Indiana) rather than being too in love with “high star” ratings. Something I feel IU has gotten away from and needs to return more to.

Good discussion.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The Montverde pipeline is one that we have made great inroads in. If we can continue to get a guy or two from there on a consistent basis, it would be asinine to not recruit them. Add at least 1-2 of the top ten Indiana guys and then supplement from elsewhere on an as needed basis.

As an example, I really wanted Fland. Point guards from the NYC area are gold Jerry, gold.

I think when Woody leaves it depends on how much of the current staff stays if that pipeline can continue. Even if woody is successful next year I don’t anticipate him wanting to coach 5 more years.

@DC2345 where Greenfield's schedule is pretty poor for an Indy area 4A team--- their sectional is excellent. 

One of the best 3 in the state no doubt. 

GC, NP, Richmond, Anderson, Mt Vernon... plus a Pendleton Heights team that isn't weak/still Top 50 ish in the Sagarin. 

Great sectional, GC has the perfect year to host. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

@DC2345 where Greenfield's schedule is pretty poor for an Indy area 4A team--- their sectional is excellent. 

One of the best 3 in the state no doubt. 

GC, NP, Richmond, Anderson, Mt Vernon... plus a Pendleton Heights team that isn't weak/still Top 50 ish in the Sagarin. 

Great sectional, GC has the perfect year to host. 

100%. It’s going to take a great run for any team to win that sectional. 

24 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Most points you have personally witnessed a player score ?

What's Jack Benters high game? 

I watched Romeo score 44 in the regional championship at Seymour against Castle and I left there thinking he didn't even play well lol 

Edited by btownqb

47 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Just high school game you attended 

boys & girls 

Just waiting for the inevitable Luke Brown posts…😀

Saw Brody Boyd go for over 40 pretty regularly…including l think 50 against Hutsonville. Some of the all time scoring games came without the 3pt line so those have to be seen as much more impressive.

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Most points you have personally witnessed a player score ?

In person in a high school games…I watched Brody Boyd drop 44 on Clay City one year….i once dropped 49 in a competitive adult rec league lol 

along this note, was anyone in here a big time player in HS? 

Myself I was a 3 year starter for Clay City. 3 time All conference…avg 17 my senior year. I had some D-II offers, but didn’t go play college, chose to stay close to home.

• Like 2

Kelly Heath Lafayette Jeff at Harrison(my school) they single covered her to the tune of 57 points 

I texted Jeff Washburn at the end of 3rd and asked what’s the State Record for points in a game ?

47. Ed Bridwell (McCutcheon) vs Harrison in game 1 Sectionals 1993

Played a few pickup games against him a few years later….good night 😳