HSN Fantasy Football

13 hours ago, ephul said:

I'll be honest, I didn't even know I made the playoffs until yesterday early afternoon. When I logged in it said something about Championship Quarterfinals.

Talk about an "Oh $hit" moment. Wish I would've got on sooner and grabbed a better defense. 

Thanks for not!! ha.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:07 PM, 5fouls said:

I went back and looked at the drafts our two regular season champions.

@Seeking6 drafted 11th in the first round.

@JaybobHoosierdrafted 7th in the first round.

Common player between the two among early picks?  Travis Kelce.

Food for thought when next year's draft rolls around.

Next year we have NO TE is what I take away from this!!

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not sure about that.  I've always been a traditionalist on lineup structure. Kelce is getting older, so at some point th hat advantage will fade.

It's not worth it though, imo, even without Kelce. Theres 2 playable TEs. Fair amount of WRs that would start over those TEs. 

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's not worth it though, imo, even without Kelce. Theres 2 playable TEs. Fair amount of WRs that would start over those TEs. 

The facts don't support that theory.

Stats as of today, comparing the 1st, 2nd, and first 'non-starter' at each position (13th QB, 25th RB, 37th WR, 13th TE)

QB

• Mahomes - 386.4
  • Hurts - 378.8
  • D. Jones - 248.16

Difference from 1stt to 13th - 138.24

RB

• McCaffrey - 296.36
  • Ekeler - 294.7
  • Montgomery - 135.5

Difference from 1st to 25th - 160.86

WR

• Jefferson - 296.76
  • . Hill - 291.00
  • DJ Moore - 135.00

Difference from 1st to 37th - 161.76

TE

• Kelce - 259.4
  • Andrews - 157.9
  • Conklin - 104.9

Difference from 1st to 13th - 154.5

What this shows is that it's not an issue between value added from the position as a whole, just from 1st to 2nd place. Sure, you might score 1.75 (as in less than 2) points a game more if you got to play Montgomery and DJ Moore instead of Conklin.  Is that worth dismissing an entire position from existence?  

The point to be made is Travis Kelce was the most important player in fantasy this year, honestly worthy of the #1 overall pick.  But, last year he wasn't.  I had him on one of my HSN teams and did not even make the playoffs.  The reality is, from a fantasy perspective, eliminating the TE position would not promote getting better players into the lineup.  Instead, it would remove a key draft strategy out of the mix, which is how early should Kelce be drafted.

•  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The facts don't support that theory.

Stats as of today, comparing the 1st, 2nd, and first 'non-starter' at each position (13th QB, 25th RB, 37th WR, 13th TE)

QB

• Mahomes - 386.4
  • Hurts - 378.8
  • D. Jones - 248.16

Difference from 1stt to 13th - 138.24

RB

• McCaffrey - 296.36
  • Ekeler - 294.7
  • Montgomery - 135.5

Difference from 1st to 25th - 160.86

WR

• Jefferson - 296.76
  • . Hill - 291.00
  • DJ Moore - 135.00

Difference from 1st to 37th - 161.76

TE

• Kelce - 259.4
  • Andrews - 157.9
  • Conklin - 104.9

Difference from 1st to 13th - 154.5

What this shows is that it's not an issue between value added from the position as a whole, just from 1st to 2nd place. Sure, you might score 1.75 (as in less than 2) points a game more if you got to play Montgomery and DJ Moore instead of Conklin.  Is that worth dismissing an entire position from existence?  

The point to be made is Travis Kelce was the most important player in fantasy this year, honestly worthy of the #1 overall pick.  But, last year he wasn't.  I had him on one of my HSN teams and did not even make the playoffs.  The reality is, from a fantasy perspective, eliminating the TE position would not promote getting better players into the lineup.  Instead, it would remove a key draft strategy out of the mix, which is how early should Kelce be drafted.

•  

Yes.  We should be able to play Garrett Wilsons of the world instead of our TE position. There aren't enough worthy TEs to start. 

Teams don't value the TE position, or certainly plenty of them don't. Fantasy should see that and adapt. 

And I don't want RBs as an option, just WRs. 

I'd rather play Zay Jones than Hunter Henry. Tyler Conklin isn't even owned. 

Edited by btownqb

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes.  We should be able to play Garrett Wilsons of the world instead of our TE position. There aren't enough worthy TEs to start. 

Teams don't value the TE position, or certainly plenty of them don't. Fantasy should see that and adapt. 

And I don't want RBs as an option, just WRs. 

I'd rather play Zay Jones than Hunter Henry. Tyler Conklin isn't even owned. 

Tha's what the flex position is for.  Garrett Wilson is your flex instead of Tyler Conklin.  I get it.  But, if you eliminate the TE position all together and create two flex positions, you're not making the Garrett Wilson decision, you're making the DJ Moore or Mack Hollins decision.  I'll take my chances with someone like George Kittle. 

Edited by 5fouls

Kelce is just a step (tiny step) below JJ, Adams,etc...will never understand the reluctance to drafting him in first round. I have for years and my piggy bank thanks the nonbelievers. Now as @5foulssaid time/age will catch up eventually but people thought he was going to be in trouble this year with out Hill. 

Maybe he's just one of the best if not the best TE's in NFL history....and just a heads up. When I draft 12th next year in our league. I'll take him again. 

Anyone else have this annoying Rhamondre Stevenson issue today? I'm bilingual but don't speak Belichick. I just know I'm going to play him instead of Jamaal Williams and he's either not going to play or play and get hurt.

Good luck to everyone involved in playoffs! It's not like you have to wait another 9 months to play again if you make a bad choice. 

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone else have this annoying Rhamondre Stevenson issue today? I'm bilingual but don't speak Belichick. I just know I'm going to play him instead of Jamaal Williams and he's either not going to play or play and get hurt.

Good luck to everyone involved in playoffs! It's not like you have to wait another 9 months to play again if you make a bad choice. 

In my ESPN league, I played Zonovan Knight instead of Rhamondre.  Got 2 whole points from Knight.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In my ESPN league, I played Zonovan Knight instead of Rhamondre.  Got 2 whole points from Knight.  

Which makes sense given the uncertainty of RS.

I'll just say this. I have my core guys across most leagues....besides Kelce...I'm glad I'm not playing in our league this year.

Going to lose barring a huge amount of points from Herbert, Godwin, Adams in 2nd half in one $ league. Surprisingly in my largest $ league I'll be advancing. The guy I'm playing has Sanders, Stevenson, Cooper, Hopkins, Mixon, Tucker, and Herbert. On pace for 92 or so. Rough week for the normal folks.

• Like 1

Just a thought I just came across. For those in other leagues besides this one. While I don't ever see a coach resting his starters for multiple weeks before a bye as well.....if the Eagles beat the Cowboys next week they'd clinch home field throughout. Meaning a slight chance of resting some guys or pulling starters early in week 17 with nothing to play for as well as week 18.

Not saying it will happen but given Miles Sanders touches yesterday I'd say he's definitely at risk. 

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a thought I just came across. For those in other leagues besides this one. While I don't ever see a coach resting his starters for multiple weeks before a bye as well.....if the Eagles beat the Cowboys next week they'd clinch home field throughout. Meaning a slight chance of resting some guys or pulling starters early in week 17 with nothing to play for as well as week 18.

Not saying it will happen but given Miles Sanders touches yesterday I'd say he's definitely at risk. 

Doesnt impact fantasy leagues that end playoffs after Week 17, but the great thing about the AFC this season is that 3 teams could go into Week 18 with a chance at the #1 seed, meaning all the stars would be playing.

As of now, it sits Bills, Chiefs, Bengals.

The Bills and Bengals play Week 17.  If the Bengals win, then they have tie-breaker over both Bills and Chiefs.  

So, assuming they all win next week, the Chiefs win and Bengals beat Bills in 17, we enter week 18 as Chiefs, Bengals, Bills.  

If Chiefs beat Raiders, Chiefs get the 1.

If Chiefs lose to Raiders and Bengals beat Ravens, the Bengals get the 1.

If both Chiefs and Bengals lose, the Bills would get the 1 if they win.

If they somehow all lose, the Chiefs would get the 1.

All that said, if the Chiefs would lose in Week 16 or 17, the Ravens could actually still be in the mix for the 1.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Doesnt impact fantasy leagues that end playoffs after Week 17, but the great thing about the AFC this season is that 3 teams could go into Week 18 with a chance at the #1 seed, meaning all the stars would be playing.

As of now, it sits Bills, Chiefs, Bengals.

The Bills and Bengals play Week 17.  If the Bengals win, then they have tie-breaker over both Bills and Chiefs.  

So, assuming they all win next week, the Chiefs win and Bengals beat Bills in 17, we enter week 18 as Chiefs, Bengals, Bills.  

If Chiefs beat Raiders, Chiefs get the 1.

If Chiefs lose to Raiders and Bengals beat Ravens, the Bengals get the 1.

If both Chiefs and Bengals lose, the Bills would get the 1 if they win.

If they somehow all lose, the Chiefs would get the 1.

All that said, if the Chiefs would lose in Week 16 or 17, the Ravens could actually still be in the mix for the 1.

That's some great work and exactly what the NFL is hoping for.

Small note on week 17 though....it could certainly impact Eagles players if they have 1 locked up after this week .....if the coach decides to rest guys or play a few series and pull them it could hurt peoples week 17 values. Namely guys like Sanders who already. Maybe a guy like Goedert....and Brown/Smith have nothing to prove. I don't think it will happen but something to keep an eye on. 

Not sure what to think about this.

I am in the championship game of an 8 person league this week. I put a waiver claim in that was not filled, as the person playing in the 7-8 game had precedence over me. I am glad that they are still efforting, but a little pissed that it’s a meaningless move for a meaningless game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not sure what to think about this.

I am in the championship game of an 8 person league this week. I put a waiver claim in that was not filled, as the person playing in the 7-8 game had precedence over me. I am glad that they are still efforting, but a little pissed that it’s a meaningless move for a meaningless game.

If I'm out of the playoffs, I will still pick up players, but AFTER waivers are over.  I will let the playoff teams have first opportunity.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If I'm out of the playoffs, I will still pick up players, but AFTER waivers are over.  I will let the playoff teams have first opportunity.  

I guess if I was playing for money I would understand…once I’m out of it…I’m done. No difference second to tenth or whatever. If you aren’t first your last. 

what do people do in fantasy leagues once they get eliminated? Do you tank for a better draft pick??

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I guess if I was playing for money I would understand…once I’m out of it…I’m done. No difference second to tenth or whatever. If you aren’t first your last. 

what do people do in fantasy leagues once they get eliminated? Do you tank for a better draft pick??

All of my leagues have draft order picked at random for next year. Prevents people tanking for that very reason.  

If it's a money league and people are picking up guys who aren't in it still....I'd have an issue. This week I'm playing for title in a $ league. Opponents QB is Hurts. I picked up Minshew to block that just in case so he fell right into the trap of picking up Zach Wilson. Here's the issue though. If nobody  has looked at forecast for tomorrow night in Jags/Jets game I'd suggest checking it out. He can still not play Wilson and pick up a guy like Ridder or whomever but if someone playing for personal pride (while I like that) picks up Ridder before tomorrow night he's kind of screwed.

• Like 1