Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

On 5/23/2023 at 8:30 AM, DWB said:

I think MM will be a good player for us, but he's still a freshman. New offense, new defense, gotta change his body, school, on his own for the first time. I don't think he will be consistently productive for us until mid season at the earliest.

will likely depend on his work ethic and coach ability.

I feel like we spent all off-season last year underestimating Jalen, and now I feel like we may be about to do the same with MM.

Rankings are certainly not everything, but this kid has the profile of a Romeo Langford or Eric Gordon coming in (using perimeter player comparisons). If this kid was from Indiana and had committed to us 12 months ago, we would be through the roof about how great he is. The expectation for him coming in should be to be a one and done and lottery pick - he's that good and we need him to play up to that level. If not, it's a disappointment. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Why do you say that? I'm really confused about the Love "has issues" gossip. Besides him taking a ton of shots, what other locker room or "issues" have been confirmed? Here's what I have seen: https://fansided.com/2023/02/09/caleb-love-rj-davis-unc-basketball-girlfriend-rumors-explained/ 

Well, the fact that he did not qualify academically for Michigan could be considered a red flag.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Why do you say that? I'm really confused about the Love "has issues" gossip. Besides him taking a ton of shots, what other locker room or "issues" have been confirmed? Here's what I have seen: https://fansided.com/2023/02/09/caleb-love-rj-davis-unc-basketball-girlfriend-rumors-explained/ 

Bros before hoes!!!

Seriously, Love reminds me a lot of Russell Westbrook...talented player, but shoots more than he should, given his statistics.  That's not a presence I'd want in a talented locker room.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Caleb love head over 330 assist and I think it’s many rebounds in three years so he does other things besides, just shoot the ball

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/caleb-love-1.html

...but the dude shot over 15X/game last season averaging less than 38% from the field and less than 30% from distance.  Xavier Johnson was just under 41% from the field and 38% from behind the arc for his career at IU.  Similar rebound and turnover numbers but X had almost twice the assist rate and therefore a much better assist/TO ratio.

JHS in his freshman season compares favorably across the board to Caleb Love.  So does Trey Galloway last season.  The only area where Love exceeds IU's main guards is in shot volume.  I get that more utilization usually makes for less accuracy, but Caleb just flat-out needed to quit shooting.  He probably shot UNC out of more games than shooting them into games.

With everything I see of this Bracey Wright wannabe, I'm glad he's looking elsewhere. (and for all the grief IU fans gave Bracey, his stats are clearly superior to Love as well.)  I can't even believe IU ever really pursued Love beyond a zoom call. 

Hard pass.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Bros before hoes!!!

Seriously, Love reminds me a lot of Russell Westbrook...talented player, but shoots more than he should, given his statistics.  That's not a presence I'd want in a talented locker room.

But what does that have to do with "locker room" issues?  And I think it is interesting that Gonzaga, Arizona and Texas are all interested but the majority of IU fans don't want him? Outside of X, we have no proven scorers at the guard position.  I trust that our coaching staff has a plan but question the arrogance of some of the IU fans considering the state of the program the last 25 years. If he wants to play at IU, come on board. That being said, he doesn't seem to be coming, so it doesn't really matter. But the rumoring mongering about his "locker room" issues seems pretty unfounded and then adding some zig zag comment is just odd. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

A joke.....lighten up Francis.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

But what does that have to do with "locker room" issues?  And I think it is interesting that Gonzaga, Arizona and Texas are all interested but the majority of IU fans don't want him? Outside of X, we have no proven scorers at the guard position.  I trust that our coaching staff has a plan but question the arrogance of some of the IU fans considering the state of the program the last 25 years. If he wants to play at IU, come on board. That being said, he doesn't seem to be coming, so it doesn't really matter. But the rumoring mongering about his "locker room" issues seems pretty unfounded and then adding some zig zag comment is just odd. 

The locker room stuff is pretty much just speculation.  That said, he shoots (and misses) a lot.  I could see where that would get old with teammates.  Imagine Armando Bacot busting his butt to get position on the block only to watch Caleb chuck 15 shots a game.  Like I said earlier...reminds me of Russell Westbrook in that respect.

No fan arrogance here.  I just have a hard time seeing Caleb Love contributing much beyond a lot of missed shots.  The kid from Rutgers would seem to be a much better fit if he had interest.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The locker room stuff is pretty much just speculation.  That said, he shoots (and misses) a lot.  I could see where that would get old with teammates.  Imagine Armando Bacot busting his butt to get position on the block only to watch Caleb chuck 15 shots a game.  Like I said earlier...reminds me of Russell Westbrook in that respect.

No fan arrogance here.  I just have a hard time seeing Caleb Love contributing much beyond a lot of missed shots.  The kid from Rutgers would seem to be a much better fit if he had interest.

Different coach different results I would assume maybe I’m wrong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cutter said:

Different coach different results I would assume maybe I’m wrong

It is possible, and I'd give Woody a lot more credit than Hubert Davis.  I just wonder how easy it would be to turn down Love's volume after three years of open-season chucking.  Woody may have had the ability to make him a star, but I just get the feeling that there wasn't much serious interest after the zoom call.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

If you want to make a Zig Zag comment in my direction, I will gladly accept(roll) it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I’m from St. Louis and have said in here multiple times he is a “ME” first player and always has been since high school. The way he was towards the refs, other teams, and sometimes even his own teammates was always off putting for me personally so because of that I personally don’t want him on our team. Could he have matured at North Carolina sure but typically if you walk like a duck and quack like a duck you’re typically always a duck. 

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

A joke.....lighten up Francis.

Just calling it how I see it, pretty bad joke and a player I would take in a heartbeat. He led his team to the final game. He's not going to shoot 20 times a game on this team, with this coach. That being said, he's not coming. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

I haven’t heard any reporting that the staff has reached out to Caleb Love after he became a free agent again.  If that’s true, it sure feels like a safe assumption that the staff didn’t hear what they wanted to hear during the Zoom.  As an IU fan, this is great.  It’s a two way street in the sense that you have to show you’re IU material.   Woody has always said this but here the proof is in the pudding.   It shows that the staff is very selective.  This should give everyone confidence that they are looking at the best fits.    

• Like 4

9 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Just calling it how I see it, pretty bad joke and a player I would take in a heartbeat. He led his team to the final game. He's not going to shoot 20 times a game on this team, with this coach. That being said, he's not coming. 

lead his team to the final game? 

Manek, Bacot, Davis...?

• Thanks 2