Stanford Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

might as well go ahead and fire you guys up even more... i just looked at the schedule and counted.  honestly, if i had to bet, i'd say 14-13 or 15-12.  again, i am not looking to be right.  i'm hoping to be wrong.  i do like this team more than last year's.  before you respond to tell me how crazy and awful i am, please take the time to look at the schedule and honestly count wins and losses and tell me what you think we'll be.    

(Looking around)

Someone said you were crazy and awful? Where?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Some people only see the negatives and base things on the past. That's fine and good way to be "right" more than wrong. But regardless if you're optimistic, "realistic", or negative, I think this year's team is one that everyone can and should get behind. In my mind, today's game shows something that past teams haven't; resiliency. They got their arses handed to them by a pretty good UT team, but came back today and beat a decent team. Let's allow this season to dry a bit before we decide to paint it another color. It's going to a be weird/wild season with COVID still raging. 

I dont view it as being overly negative or pessimistic to question things that we see now that follow the same path as before. Its.like when Charlie Brown expects Lucy to hold the ball and not pull it away. Until we are consistent I dont know why people have an issue for those that question where the program is. 

40 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

THIS IS WHAT I'M SAYING!  i don't even know what to say.  from what i'm gathering most on here think everyone else in the nation is crazy.  IU should be considered one of the top teams in the B1G which would also mean one of the top teams in the country.  i think some of you are headed for some heartbreak.  gonna be great if i'm wrong though!  i guess from what i have been reading on this board, i expect to beat everyone in the conference other than Wisconsin.  no one has told me why we'll beat them yet.  can someone go ahead and throw them in so i can expect to run the table in the conference?

I never seen one person who thinks we will finish in the top 4.  I think we are as good ad the other teams in the middle of the big ten

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

might as well go ahead and fire you guys up even more... i just looked at the schedule and counted.  honestly, if i had to bet, i'd say 14-13 or 15-12.  again, i am not looking to be right.  i'm hoping to be wrong.  i do like this team more than last year's.  before you respond to tell me how crazy and awful i am, please take the time to look at the schedule and honestly count wins and losses and tell me what you think we'll be.    

That could very well happen. I'm still hoping this team will be more consistent than the last few but after yesterday I have my doubts. At very least, I hope they'll have bad games less often and the droughts are less often and not as long. Today they bounced back better than they did last year, which is a positive sign.

Still, inconsistent play from Hunter and Phinisee but Franklin and Thompson have made nice improvements. Maybe those improvements will offset some of the inconstancy.

There were also 3 or 4 games last season that IU had a very good chance at winning and probably should've won but didn't. A year of experience may be enough to enable them to close out those games and get the win. We'll see.

I just know that if IU does have a record like you're expecting I'll be quite disappointed and off the fence on Miller on the side of wanting him gone. 

41 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Just finished it on DVR.  

Just do that consistently and we’ll be fine. Please,, just be consistent. 

I didn’t read the game thread since I was watching on DVR. We’re folks screaming about the endless Bruce Hornsby ramble?  

Most liked the break from Walton. @IU Scott even emailed ESPN about him. Someone mentioned Billy Joel in the second half but that must have fell thru. 

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

You are taking the push back too harshly. You and others are less optimistic than some. No big deal.

Most are not saying we are among the best in the nation or even among the best in the conference.

I, for one. Just said I am optimistic we can finish a FEW spots higher than projected.

That does not mean I am right or you are wrong. I gave my reasons earlier.

We all know Scott is very optimistic. We all know @dbmhoosier is very critical. Its part of what makes this great.

People share and defend their viewpoint passionately.

Numbers dictate if you are posting the viewpoint of the minority, more posters are gonna respond. But I do not think it is at you personally or saying you are a bad guy because of it.

Edit: and keep discussing. I enjoy hearing differing viewpoints. Even if I disagree. It would be boring otherwise!

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dont view it as being overly negative or pessimistic to question things that we see now that follow the same path as before. Its.like when Charlie Brown expects Lucy to hold the ball and not pull it away. Until we are consistent I dont know why people have an issue for those that question where the program is. 

So you don't think teams will ever improve if they do the same thing for a couple of years.  Why even bother working in the off season since we will not improve.  So teams will never get better ad the season goes along because the team didn't improve two years ago.

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So you don't think teams will ever improve if they do the same thing for a couple of years.  Why even bother working in the off season since we will not improve.  So teams will never get better ad the season goes along because the team didn't improve two years ago.

Scott,

You're missing his point. Of course he isn't implying that teams can't improve. He's simply saying that from past experience we know the issues that the teams have had under Archie, and that it isn't crazy to point them out and question why were having the same issues that we have seen before. He's not declaring we haven't improved, or even that these issues will continue to plague us the rest of the year. Just that it is still concerning they are showing themselves in Year 4 and that it certainly seems like a trend.

P.S. Don't mean to put words in his mouth, but it seems pretty clear...

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Most liked the break from Walton. @IU Scott even emailed ESPN about him. Someone mentioned Billy Joel in the second half but that must have fell thru. 

Actually I didn't mind listening to Bruce Hornsby and if it was on a podcast I might have enjoyed it.  I just did not think the time to do it during the middle of the first half.  I mainly emailed them about Walton and how he is an embarrassment. 

It reminded me when they have the NFL draft and they usually show every pick in the first couple of rounds.  Once the get to the fourth round they don't discuss every pick and do interview. When they did that interview it made me feel that ESPN didn't think this game was important

Just now, madmax said:

Scott,

You're missing his point. Of course he isn't implying that teams can't improve. He's simply saying that from past experience we know the issues that the teams have had under Archie, and that it isn't crazy to point them out and question why were having the same issues that we have seen before. He's not declaring we haven't improved, or even that these issues will continue to plague us the rest of the year. Just that it is still concerning they are showing themselves in Year 4.

Look at you, being all rational 😁

Just now, madmax said:

Scott,

You're missing his point. Of course he isn't implying that teams can't improve. He's simply saying that from past experience we know the issues that the teams have had under Archie, and that it isn't crazy to point them out and question why were having the same issues that we have seen before. He's not declaring we haven't improved, or even that these issues will continue to plague us the rest of the year. Just that it is still concerning they are showing themselves in Year 4.

My point is what happen in previous years have nothing to do with this current years.  It is like when discussing Archie and being patient they say we have been patient for years. My reply is what happened 25 years ago is not Archie's fault

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

What does consistency look like?

Last year, we were beaten by double digits 5 times. So out of the 12 losses, to me, we were in the game in 7 of them. And as @go_iu_bb said, we probably should have won 2 and possibly 4 of those games... Arkansas (gave it away) Maryland (gave it away) Illinois (gyped), and Wisconsin (gave it away). We beat both MSU and Iowa.

I initially thought losing Justin Smith would hurt defensively, but boy was I wrong. On the ball, we're pretty good. As I said in the post game thread, we get out of position sometimes, but to me it's easier to correct the mental errors than the physical deficiencies. 

And it's not like I'm condemning anybody, @Billingsley99...you're one of my favorite posters. I understand the concerns, but I don't see a lot of the lethargy I saw last year. I see hustle and kids giving great effort playing D.

You put up a video in the Texas post game thread and made a comment about jogging up the floor...the only IU guy I saw jogging was Race, and he makes more hustle plays than anybody. I thought that was unfair.

We all want to be 30-5 and going to regional finals. Slow progress can be frustrating, but good things come from it...

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is sort of an odd conclusion to reach from reading his statement. 
He did not even come close to saying a team will never improve but did point out that there might be some concern if a pattern (I.e. three point shooting, inconsistent effort etc) continued year after year.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

We need like a Bat Signal for TDH. I'm anxious to find out why Jordan didn't see any action today.

I'd probably chalk it up to only so many minutes available for Leal/Geronimo at this point in the rotation. Obviously CAM wanted to see if we could add in some shooting and so Leal got those minutes to see what he could do. I imagine that it will be match-up dependent going forward unless one or the other can really establish themselves in the rotation.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What does consistency look like?

Last year, we were beaten by double digits 5 times. So out of the 12 losses, to me, we were in the game in 7 of them. And as @go_iu_bb said, we probably should have won 2 and possibly 4 of those games... Arkansas (gave it away) Maryland (gave it away) Illinois (gyped), and Wisconsin (gave it away). We beat both MSU and Iowa.

I initially thought losing Justin Smith would hurt defensively, but boy was I wrong. On the ball, we're pretty good. As I said in the post game thread, we get out of position sometimes, but to me it's easier to correct the mental errors than the physical deficiencies. 

And it's not like I'm condemning anybody, @Billingsley99...you're one of my favorite posters. I understand the concerns, but I don't see a lot of the lethargy I saw last year. I see hustle and kids giving great effort playing D.

You put up a video in the Texas post game thread and made a comment about jogging up the floor...the only IU guy I saw jogging was Race, and he makes more hustle plays than anybody. I thought that was unfair.

We all want to be 30-5 and going to regional finals. Slow progress can be frustrating, but good things come from it...

I’m not sure why many of the “I wish we consistently played hard” posts  generate replies that the poster immediately expects a  national championship or we all want to be 30-5. I literally never see a “I wish we consistently played hard” post say that we better win a natty right away.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My point is what happen in previous years have nothing to do with this current years.  It is like when discussing Archie and being patient they say we have been patient for years. My reply is what happened 25 years ago is not Archie's fault

It does when you have the same coach...much the same players and mostly the same style of play. We still emphasize and live in the paint. We still don’t have a consistent 3pt threat. We still see guys hesitate to shoot confidently. There is still some commonalities that are just built into the program. Some things can improve and alter (offense is much more uptempo) guys can improve but generally non-shooters don’t become marksman...I think we can see some improvement but with the changes to the roster we have made...and look to make...3pt shooting is not something Archie prioritizes and I don’t think we will ever be a team in the top half of the NCAA in 3pt shooting.

Just now, madmax said:

I'd probably chalk it up to only so many minutes available for Leal/Geronimo at this point in the rotation. Obviously CAM wanted to see if we could add in some shooting and so Leal got those minutes to see what he could do. I imagine that it will be match-up dependent going forward unless one or the other can really establish themselves in the rotation.

That crossed my mind. Leal rode the bench the whole way against Providence, so maybe it's a message thing. 

Archived